 Off-Topic / Debate / 11532
Re: More LP S P A M : (was Re: Scary Survey results about the US First Amendment)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 9 Jul 2001 17:05:34 GMT

I would rather the government do something useful, not tell me what
I can/cannot say, or what my children can/cannot see or hear.

Such as? Protecting children is what I expect government to do before almost
anything. I expect government to supply children with free healthcare and
education.

I've been through the public education system (several of them actually) and
I think the government is doing a lousy job at it. The quality of student is
degrading rather quickly. I would rather send my child to a religious school
where I know they will have a good education, healthy meal and a little
moral backbone - because I'm paying for it.

What is you could not afford it?

Ask for assistance from a charity. There are plenty of grants and
scholarships available for primary & secondary education. Just like
post-secondary. You just need to look for it. I'm all for educating
children, but I don't agree with the way the government is spending MY money
on education. That's why I would rather take MY money and go elsewhere.

As to what the government could be doing? I think regulating itself would be
a good start. It's one of the few industries that I know of where a person
can be promoted for being incompetent. Since it's so hard to fire a
government employee that's the only way to get them out of your department.

Private industry is just as bad as the government... in my opinion. Look at
how wrong the private sector got the dot.coms

I don't know about "just as bad", but I do agree that the private sector
could use some work too.

If a parent
can't keep track of what their children are doing on a regular basis then
they shouldn't have been a parent in the first place.

How do you propose they should be stopped? Who should stop them? Who should
pay for it?

Themselves. My opinion is that they shouldn't have been a parent if they
weren't ready. It's their decision though. If they were going to do the
deed, they should be willing to pay the price.

We are back to where we started - you still have not answered my point.

How should they be stopped? Abstinence - it's the only true way to prevent
pregnancy. Yes contraceptives are effective, just not 100% effective. If you
use contraceptives you still need to be willing to live with the failure of
the device and possible resulting pregnancy.

Who should stop them? Themselves hopefully. I know that's too much to ask,
but it would be nice in an idealistic world. I'm not going to step in and I
don't want the government to either.

Who should pay for it? They should pay for their own prevention.

Are those answers enough?

Scott A