 Off-Topic / Debate / 11528
Re: More LP S P A M : (was Re: Scary Survey results about the US First Amendment)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 9 Jul 2001 16:43:29 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Duane Hess writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Duane Hess writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Duane Hess writes:
When did the polling take place?
What group was polled – age/sex/ethnic background?
What order were the questioned asked in?
Was any supplemental information given?
How was the poll undertaken - telephone / face-to-face/via the web?
Were any other questions asked?
Who are the “polling experts at the University of Connecticut” – and was
their comment related to the poll?

It is reassuring that this is the level of debate in the LP. No doubt the
freedom forum and the LP are working hard as we speak to ensure US kids can
be exposed to porn and violence.

What's wrong with that?

Personally, I would think it is bad that any group is "working hard as we
speak to ensure US kids can be exposed to porn and violence." - call me a
prude if you wish.

Are you advocating limits on speech rights? If you
don't want your kids exposed to porn and violence - monitor what they are
watching.

What if a kid has a parent that does not care - is that OK? What if the
violence/porn is exploitative - is that OK?

That's the parent's duty - not mine, or the governments for that matter
either.

So you would rather that kid was corrupted, than some sort of age check
system was used?

Are you sure that the child will be corrupted? I would rather that the child
be exposed to the realities of life so that it can form its own opinion on
what is right/wrong. IF the parents are doing their job, then the child
should be introduced to questionable subjects at an appropriate age.
Generally, a child is able to make the "right" decision on its own more
often than given credit for.

Each to his own I suppose.

I would rather the government do something useful, not tell me what
I can/cannot say, or what my children can/cannot see or hear.

Such as? Protecting children is what I expect government to do before almost
anything. I expect government to supply children with free healthcare and
education.

I've been through the public education system (several of them actually) and
I think the government is doing a lousy job at it. The quality of student is
degrading rather quickly. I would rather send my child to a religious school
where I know they will have a good education, healthy meal and a little
moral backbone - because I'm paying for it.

What is you could not afford it?

As to what the government could be doing? I think regulating itself would be
a good start. It's one of the few industries that I know of where a person
can be promoted for being incompetent. Since it's so hard to fire a
government employee that's the only way to get them out of your department.

Private industry is just as bad as the government... in my opinion. Look at
how wrong the private sector got the dot.coms

If a parent
can't keep track of what their children are doing on a regular basis then
they shouldn't have been a parent in the first place.

How do you propose they should be stopped? Who should stop them? Who should
pay for it?

Themselves. My opinion is that they shouldn't have been a parent if they
weren't ready. It's their decision though. If they were going to do the
deed, they should be willing to pay the price.

We are back to where we started - you still have not answered my point.

Scott A