 Off-Topic / Debate / 11533
Re: More LP S P A M : (was Re: Scary Survey results about the US First Amendment)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 9 Jul 2001 17:25:51 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Duane Hess writes:

I've been through the public education system (several of them actually) and
I think the government is doing a lousy job at it. The quality of student is
degrading rather quickly.

I ask this as a flat question, without intentionally hidden rhetoric:  Is
there another country of comparable size, population, and demographic and
financial diversity that has a predominant and demonstrably successful
privatized educational system?  That is, has a non-public system been shown
as better across the board among a similarly diverse student base, or are we
simply taking the small sampling of private US schools and extrapolating
what we feel their results might be when applied to the nation as a whole?
We're all great drum-beaters when it comes to ridiculing the US public
educational system, but is there really another nation we might use as a
comparison?  Again, I'm just asking, because I don't know.

I don't know either. I'm just going on my own knowledge, experiences and
perceptions. I feel that a privatized system is better than the alternative
public system that we have now. Besides, why do we have banned books?
Shouldn't we read that banned material so we know what mistakes NOT to make
next time?

As to what the government could be doing? I think regulating itself would be
a good start. It's one of the few industries that I know of where a person
can be promoted for being incompetent.

While it's not a defense of mis-managed governmnt, I've seen incompentence
rewarded many times in non-government jobs, too.  The squeaky wheel gets
promoted, alas.

True. Too true unfortunately.

I have this odd feeling that if it were MY job to rid the world of
incompetence, I would be the only person left.... :-)

If a parent can't keep track of what their children are doing on a regular
basis then they shouldn't have been a parent in the first place.

How do you propose they should be stopped? Who should stop them? Who should
pay for it?

Themselves. My opinion is that they shouldn't have been a parent if they
weren't ready. It's their decision though. If they were going to do the
deed, they should be willing to pay the price.

I agree overwhelmingly that, ideally, people not ready to be parents
should not have kids. However, the reality is that such people have had kids
and are continuing to do so, so what do we do about it? Is it sufficient to
say "it's the parents' problem?"  What happens when the kids, raised by
"adults" not ready for parenthood, themselves attain reproductive age?  I'm
afraid I don't have a solution, but there's got something more progressive
than "they shouldn't have had kids in the first place."

Education. That's why I say that there should be no restrictions on speech
(which is where this thread came from). Let kids see uncensored sex ed
films. Teach girls (and boys - it's good for them to know) what their bodies
will go through during pregnancy. Have kids volunteer at a day care center.
Expose them to the joys of parenthood - before they are a parent. Yes babies
are fun when they are cooing and quiet, but show them the flip side as well.
Give them the truth and they are more likely to make the "right" decision.

My parents told me (and all of my siblings) that they dissapproved of
teenage sex and teenage drinking. However, they were open enough to realize
that it was going to happen sometime and told us to be smart about it.

    Dave!

-Duane