 Off-Topic / Debate / 11551
Re: More LP S P A M : (was Re: Scary Survey results about the US First Amendment)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 10 Jul 2001 13:06:03 GMT

Duane Hess wrote:

Have kids volunteer at a day care center.
Expose them to the joys of parenthood - before they are a parent. Yes babies
are fun when they are cooing and quiet, but show them the flip side as well.
Give them the truth and they are more likely to make the "right" decision.

There was a good program on the telly in the UK fairly recently where they had a
teenager looking after a child on their own full time, with the real parents of
the child supervising from hidden cameras and so on. They did this with several
teenagers and the results were *very* interesting; if I remember correctly there
seemed to be an inverse relationship between the degree of rose coloured
spectacle view of parenthood of a given teenager prior to them looking after the
child and their eventual ability to cope and even enjoy their brief spell of
parenthood.

Jennifer