 Off-Topic / Debate / 11587
Re: Did animals have rights before we invented rights?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 10 Jul 2001 23:08:09 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Brown writes:

That is *exactly* what we are doing when we say the lion is amoral.  We are
saying that our morals do not apply to it.

Uh, no, by the definitions you gave (and my understanding also) amoral does
not specifically relate to _our_ (human) morals, but _any_ morals.

That's where the breakdown in
communication is happening.  You appear to be operating with a different
definition of "amoral" than everyone else in this debate.

FWIW, my understanding of amoral is in line with most people here:

   amoral=has nothing to do with morality.  Neither moral nor immoral.

Dictionary.com:  "Not admitting of moral distinctions or judgments; neither
moral nor immoral."
Meriam-Webster.com: "being neither moral nor immoral; specifically : lying
outside the sphere to which moral judgments apply"
Oxford Pocket: (7th ed) "Beyond morality; having no moral principles"

ROSCO (Never let it be said that *I* let this thread die!)