 Off-Topic / Debate / 11620
Re: More LP S P A M : (was Re: Scary Survey results about the US First Amendment)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 11 Jul 2001 19:16:18 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Duane Hess writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Duane Hess writes:
Then I'm assuming that you've never had sex, or been in a fist-fight.

Why?

Pornography is just a graphical depiction of sex. Sex happens in real life.

It does yes. But not as it is depicted in pornography.

This is a family forum. Like I said before, it may just be that I am a prude.

Alright, I'll put this topic to bed (Oooo, that pun's just bad)

What is your basis to the claim that acts depicted in pornography are
different than those done in real life behind closed doors?

Violence happens in real life to varying degrees. Get threatened with a
crow-bar, or get maced sometime. I feel that both are pretty violent and
they have both happened to me.

You must be mixing with the wrong people.

The crow-bar incident stemmed from my attempt to help a woman in a
neighboring apartment who was being abused. The abuser, didn't like my
involvement.

The macing incident resulted from my inability to back down from a
confrontation. The crowd I was associating with had nothing to do with it.

Violence in the movies is not the
same as in real life.

How so? What is different?

Just what war torn coutry do you live in?

I'm just wondering what the difference is in your mind.

Perhaps the US's fascination with gun culture would be
lessened if the movies depicted the full horror of what they can do - rather
than depict the usual band-aid type wounds.

Does this mean that you feel that violence should not be censored? It seems
like you are suggesting that movie violence (gun violence in particular)
actually be made *more* graphic to communicate more effectively the damage
resulting from a gunshot wound.

Not more violent, but more realistic. There is a clear distinction between
the two.

OK, I'll give you that.

Movies have the stylised violence we see today as the market does
not want to see the real thing. Films which show real violence (Nil by Mouth
comes to mind) do not make huge $$, because the market wants, to a certain
extent,

Then why is there such a hunger for the media to lay their hands on (to use
the example again) autopsy photos of Dale Earnheardt? It seems like people
*want* reality in their media. Think back to the older westerns and war
movies. When someone was shot, they either coverd up the wound or showed the
"ketchup stain" wound. Today a gunshot wound seems incomplete unless you can
see the graphic damage done by the bullet (preferrably in slow motion).

I think people truly want reality in their media, even if it is a stylized
representation of reality interpreted by the director. Why shield people by
removing their rights?

escapism – not reality.

Nice phrase, I like that.

Scott A