 Off-Topic / Debate / 11579
Re: More LP S P A M : (was Re: Scary Survey results about the US First Amendment)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 10 Jul 2001 17:06:18 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Duane Hess writes:

"realities of life"? You think violence in movies and pornography represent
the "realities of life"? It looks like my life is duller than I thought.

Then I'm assuming that you've never had sex, or been in a fist-fight.

Why?

  I don't typically come down in complete agreement with Scott, but I must
concur with him on this point.  Does anyone of full mental capacity actually
think that any film is a true representation of life? The entire process,
from the formulation of the idea to the rolling of the credits in the
theater, is fully synthesized and orchestrated to be a representation of an
aesthetic sensibility. Even a documentary is a caricature of its subject,
rather than the subject itself.
  To infer something about Scott's sex life or pugilistic history on the
basis that he rejects films as an objective account of the "realities of
life" is nonsensical (and, I hasten to add, Postmodernist drivel!)

     Dave!