 Off-Topic / Fun / 7722
Re: Couldn't resist
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 10 Jul 2001 01:59:09 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.fun, David Eaton writes:
In lugnet.space, Dave Schuler writes:

I think that unless we can find a specific point at which Shiri is not a
man, then we cannot demonstrate conclusively that she is a woman. Either
Shiri occupies a spectrum of man-ness and woman-ness with no distinction, or
a distinction exists, even if we can't define it precisely.  DaveE and I
have been bandying around exactly this sort of thing for days.

Obviously according to our preset definitions, one would grade according to
a sexual scale, rather than percentages of spectrum occupation.
snippo
Hence, quite clearly, we're *all* female.

And of course, this very neatly solves all our problems, since Shiri's
initial debate question was "Is this sexist?". Now that we're all women, it
is quite clearly no longer an issue.

Look, er that is, listen... *I* could tell you the specific point at which
women are not men, and exactly where it is located. But this being a family
forum I have no intention of doing so, thankyouverymuch.

Not to push the point, I'd say there _is_ a gradient between "female" and
"male". As always, the exceptional cases demonstrate the fluid boundaries of the
majority. Take homosexuals, transexuals and hermaphrodites. Or heterosexual
nancy-boys or macho women. I don't think the differences are as utterly obvious
as they first seem.

--DaveL