 Off-Topic / Fun / 7721
Re: Couldn't resist
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Mon, 9 Jul 2001 20:37:55 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Jesse Alan Long writes:

The technical aspect of this story is that Adam was the first man on earth
and the Hebrew word for 'man' was actually 'Adahm.' I know that this concept
is most interesting in my mind but what is most interesting is why are women
known as women, or rather, why are females of our human species known, at
least in the individual sense, as a woman?  The answer to that question, in
my opinion is that the word 'woman' literally means 'womb of man,' or a
shortened, derivative form of those words that has arrived in the English
language. These are merely my opinions and questions so if at the very
least, please think of these answers instead of criticizing my answers.

  An interesting suggestion, but not entirely accurate. The etymology of
"woman" comes down to us through Old English, where the term "wif man"
meant, basically "female person."
  The occasionally funny Bill Cosby once suggested that "woman" is so called
because after God created Eve, he took one look and said, appreciatively,
"Wo! Man!"

   Dave!