 Off-Topic / Debate / 11567
Re: Couldn't resist
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 10 Jul 2001 16:10:35 GMT

Not to push the point, I'd say there _is_ a gradient between "female" and
"male". I don't think the differences are as utterly obvious as they first
seem.

I was hoping to avoid that quagmire, but you're correct.  Your post
crystalizes the difference between "sex" and "gender," which are distinct
characteristics not to be interchanged.

thoughtful discussion mostly snipped

Is sex important?  Absolutely, in both a societal sense and a longitudinal,
species-spanning way, since it is, at present, the only way by which we are
able to make more humans!

Talk about up-to-the-minute. See these topics:
http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=11562
http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=11564

I didn't want to weigh down this basically light-hearted discussion, but you
raised a valid point.

I agree (about being a drag etc). Still, I thought .debate was a good place
for discussion of Adam's rib (or Eve's funky chromosomal mutation). I'm
still cite-seeking, but I actually think DaveE is in a very particular sense
wrong when (s)he says (at http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/fun/?n=7719):
[W]e're all female [is] another obviously silly result. I don't really expect
anyone to take it seriously :)

Of course, if this is ploughed ground I don't have to be a clod and dredge
it up.

--DaveL