 Off-Topic / Debate / 11563
Re: What is spam? (was Re: Scary Survey results about the US First Amendment
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 10 Jul 2001 16:02:27 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Selçuk Göre writes:

Scott A wrote:
There are real issue out their • (sic)
which are worth talking about

Loss of first amendment rights (while the populace cheers on the loss) in
the US *is* a real issue, whether you like it or not.

In fact, whether you *understand* it or not, actually, since you have
demonstrated with your slurring and sniping and rails against child
pornography that you don't understand what the first amendment actually
means or why it is important.

I do not think I have metioned child in this thread... but you are correct,
I do not understand it. Do you support child pornography? What about child
prositution?

It
often surprises me how big news stories in the US/world(1) never make it to
this group, instead we talk about how much morals a stone can have.

"how many morals" or "how much morality" would be the correct usage, I think.

Is this the best you can do?

This would be because *you* dragged the conversation there, I think. In my
view it was you that narrowed the focus down to sparring over what amoral
means because you'd rather do that than admit you were caught in a
contradiction.

Ah. It is my fault. I see. I should have guessed.

How like you to then complain about it, Scott.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/europe/newsid_1402000/1402880.stm

Wow!.. Is this really a big news story? I didn't expected that.

I did.

Scott A

I'd characterise it as significant! It's bad news for democracy to ban
political parties (or make the playing field uneven, as it is in the US),
even ones that are advocating non democratic courses. (that is why banning
the Communist party was wrong back when the US did it)

Was it something you were aware of already, Selçuk? That is, did it make the
Turkish press? And how does the Turkish press reporting contrast with the
BBCs? My view of the Turkish press (based on nothing at all other than gut
feeling and some superficial reading) is that it's not particularly free.
(tieing back to the First Amendment and freedom of press)

++Lar