 Off-Topic / Debate / 11602
Re: More LP S P A M : (was Re: Scary Survey results about the US First Amendment)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 11 Jul 2001 07:54:04 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Duane Hess writes:
but I don't agree with the way the government is spending MY money
on education. That's why I would rather take MY money and go elsewhere.

You said this before. I asked you where the money should be spent - I think
you replied saying the government should regulate itself more (ie more
bureaucracy). But the question is - regulate itself more doing what exactly?

By reducing itself (fat chance).

So the money should be spent regulating itself getting smaller?

Let me back-track for a minute.

OK.

I think I started down a different path than
we were originally on.

I think the government should reduce it's size period. It doesn't need to be
as large as it is. Too much red tape already.

That said, let's turn to the money. You would like to know where I think the
money should be spent (with regard to education).

1)I feel that standardized testing is a waste of time. All the tests are
doing is teaching children how to guess at an answer. Skip it. Spend the
time that is used on preparing children for the tests on true education.
2)Increase the number of teachers per child. Kids will flourish with the
added attention.
3)Update the classroom technology (computers, supplies). Technology is a
tool. Teach them to use it (properly).

I understand there are no/little computers in schools in India - and yet
every country wants Indian IT graduates. I am pretty sure that Japan has
very few computers in schools also - but I may be wrong. The problems with
computers in schools is that kids learn how to work MS Word, MS Excel and
the like. What kids need is problem solving skills - not computers.

Scott A

4)Focus on reading comprehension. If you can read, you can learn easier.
5)Teach critical thinking. I've met kids who were book smart, but couldn't
think themselves out of a wet paper bag.

That's to name just a few things. That would improve the current public
school system. A private industry can provide these things already.

We are back to where we started - you still have not answered my point.

How should they be stopped? Abstinence - it's the only true way to prevent
pregnancy. Yes contraceptives are effective, just not 100% effective. If >>>>you
use contraceptives you still need to be willing to live with the failure of
the device and possible resulting pregnancy.

Who should stop them? Themselves hopefully. I know that's too much to ask,
but it would be nice in an idealistic world. I'm not going to step in and I
don't want the government to either.

If they are negligent enough to be a bad parent, what makes you think they
will care enough to abstain?

I said "idealistic world".

We do not live there. How would you solve the problems in this world?

I cannot solve all of the problems in this world. That's why I said
"idealistic world". Trying to apply an idealistic solution to a realistic
problem is nothing more than a recipe for disaster.

How do they know they will be a bad parent?

That's what education is for.

Is this the best you can do?

Yes, I believe that education is the key to many of the problems society
faces today.

Scott A

-Duane