 Off-Topic / Debate / 11599
Re: More LP S P A M : (was Re: Scary Survey results about the US First Amendment)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 11 Jul 2001 07:59:34 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Duane Hess writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Duane Hess writes:

Are you advocating limits on speech rights? If you
don't want your kids exposed to porn and violence - monitor what they are
watching.

What if a kid has a parent that does not care - is that OK? What if the
violence/porn is exploitative - is that OK?

That's the parent's duty - not mine, or the governments for that matter
either.

So you would rather that kid was corrupted, than some sort of age check
system was used?

Are you sure that the child will be corrupted? I would rather that the child
be exposed to the realities of life so that it can form its own opinion on
what is right/wrong.

"realities of life"? You think violence in movies and pornography represent
the "realities of life"? It looks like my life is duller than I thought.

Then I'm assuming that you've never had sex, or been in a fist-fight.

Why?

Pornography is just a graphical depiction of sex. Sex happens in real life.

It does yes. But not as it is depicted in pornography.

Violence happens in real life to varying degrees. Get threatened with a
crow-bar, or get maced sometime. I feel that both are pretty violent and
they have both happened to me.

You must be mixing with the wrong people. Violence in the movies is not the
same as in real life. Perhaps the US's fascination with gun culture would be
lessened if the movies depicted the full horror of what they can do - rather
than depict the usual band-aid type wounds.

Scott A

Scott A