 Star Wars / 9362
  What is with the Technic Stormtrooper?

This has to be one of the ugliest things I have seen! If they didn't tell me what it was I would have never guessed it was a Stormtrooper. (URL) really, really, really hope LEGO didn't think that a Stormtrooper was a Robot. :-(. I now know at least (...) (24 years ago, 25-Oct-00, to lugnet.starwars, lugnet.technic)

  Re: What is with the Technic Stormtrooper?

(...) Boy oh boy, you called that right, and C3PO's not much better. I'm surprised they made it past the QC department. I think a cooler set would have been a full-scale bust or helmet offered as a special model, like The Statue of Liberty or the (...) (24 years ago, 25-Oct-00, to lugnet.starwars, lugnet.technic)

  Re: What is with the Technic Stormtrooper?

(...) I don't get it either. It definitely is ugly, and I agree, I wouldn't have been able to guess what it was if a third-grader showed me and made me guess. I guess I don't understand any of these technic maxi-figures. I bought a Battle Droid to (...) (24 years ago, 25-Oct-00, to lugnet.starwars, lugnet.technic)

  Re: What is with the Technic Stormtrooper?

(...) The only thing I like about C-3PO is they got his legs right. He has a silver leg! Eric Kingsley (24 years ago, 25-Oct-00, to lugnet.starwars, lugnet.technic)

  Re: What is with the Technic Stormtrooper?

(...) And I meant to say, when I was a kid, I thought Stormtroopers were robots. Heh. Hey! I was, like, 4! Gimmee a break! eric (24 years ago, 25-Oct-00, to lugnet.starwars, lugnet.technic)

  Re: What is with the Technic Stormtrooper?

(...) I'm not impressed with the designs either, but what does interest me is that there appears to be a new kind of Throwbot compatible piece in those sets. Look closely at the elbows and wrists of the stormtrooper. I'm guessing that its a Slizer (...) (24 years ago, 25-Oct-00, to lugnet.starwars, lugnet.technic, lugnet.build.mecha)

  Re: What is with the Technic Stormtrooper?

(...) resembles the Stormtrooper by only using Technic style elements. It's the same kind of building technique as eg. in the 8448 Technic Supercar. I'm sure no LEGO designers believe that an ordinary car has a body which is only outlined by (...) (24 years ago, 25-Oct-00, to lugnet.starwars, lugnet.technic)

  Re: What is with the Technic Stormtrooper?

(...) My wife suprised me with the Pit Droid last Valentine's Day, and while I really like it for sentimental reasons, I've done just about nothing with the parts. I like to think of myself as "old school" in regards to Technic, but I'm sure that (...) (24 years ago, 25-Oct-00, to lugnet.starwars, lugnet.technic)

  Good parts packs

That's essentially how I see them. The Stormtrooper will be a great source of white Technic parts and C3P-0 has some interesting gold parts and gold decorated tiles. I don't find either design very appealing. Threepio works a little better because (...) (24 years ago, 25-Oct-00, to lugnet.starwars, lugnet.technic)

  Re: What is with the Technic Stormtrooper?

(...) Man, you guys are tough critics! I'm no SW expert, but I don't think it really looks *that* bad. Here's a frame from SW:Ep4 for comparison -- (URL) (24 years ago, 26-Oct-00, to lugnet.starwars, lugnet.technic)

  Re: What is with the Technic Stormtrooper?

(...) what the threaad was all about and saw the original set. ;-)... and even then it took another view of the frame to get it. ;-) I'd say you proved a point, Todd, at least to me. ;-) I'm no fan of technic, and no major-fan of SW (went to see the (...) (24 years ago, 26-Oct-00, to lugnet.starwars, lugnet.technic)

  Re: What is with the Technic Stormtrooper?

(...) they? eric (24 years ago, 26-Oct-00, to lugnet.starwars, lugnet.technic)

  Re: What is with the Technic Stormtrooper?

(...) !!!! I think you may have missed Todd's point. Anyway, I finally put my finger on what really bugs me about these atrocities, thanks to that picture... they look more like (everyone's favorite Stormtrooper ripoff) *Cylons* than Stormtroopers. (...) (24 years ago, 26-Oct-00, to lugnet.starwars, lugnet.technic)

  Re: What is with the Technic Stormtrooper?

(...) I think TLC is just trying to milk the contract with Lucas for all it's worth and I think they have found the Technic line a bit of a hard fit, which I bet they didn't expect. I am a hugh SW fan but none of this Technic SW stuff has interested (...) (24 years ago, 26-Oct-00, to lugnet.starwars, lugnet.technic)

  Re: What is with the Technic Stormtrooper?

Hey! Don't insult Cylons like that! ~Mark (24 years ago, 26-Oct-00, to lugnet.starwars, lugnet.technic)

  Re: What is with the Technic Stormtrooper?

(...) ...which was to prove Eric's original point, which I heartily agree with. :-) Here's the original for comparison: (URL) They look the same. ;-) (...) Ahh -- yes! Not that there's anything wrong with Cylons. :-) (...) I think they were (...) (24 years ago, 26-Oct-00, to lugnet.starwars, lugnet.technic, lugnet.year.2001)

  Re: What is with the Technic Stormtrooper?

(...) Who says that just because it's technic, it has to be a machine? We can build anything we want with LEGO System- buildings, vehicles, animals, and even sculptures of people. Why is Technic so limited then? Yes, it has tradionally been an all (...) (24 years ago, 26-Oct-00, to lugnet.starwars, lugnet.technic)

  Re: What is with the Technic Stormtrooper?

(...) I have no problem with the fact that they made a non-machine. I have a problem with the fact that it bears nothing but the most passing of resemblences to a Stormtrooper. eric (24 years ago, 26-Oct-00, to lugnet.starwars, lugnet.technic)

  Re: What is with the Technic Stormtrooper?

(...) Eh? Which? That they're ripoffs of Stormtroopers, or that the Technic Stormtrooper looks like a Cylon? eric (24 years ago, 26-Oct-00, to lugnet.starwars, lugnet.technic)

  Re: What is with the Technic Stormtrooper?

(...) It's not that -- it's that it doesn't look like a Stormtrooper. --Todd (24 years ago, 26-Oct-00, to lugnet.starwars, lugnet.technic, lugnet.year.2001)

  Re: What is with the Technic Stormtrooper?

Almost completely agree. I just think the battle droid is an awesome bit of engineering. The other droids are overpriced merchandising. Then again, what do you expect when paying for two badges? Duq (...) worth (...) bet (...) has (...) (24 years ago, 26-Oct-00, to lugnet.starwars, lugnet.technic)

Phew, that's a relief! Thought I was the only conservative left in Technic Lego... Duq "James Simpson" <jsimpson@rice.edu> wrote in message news:G30A3o.A1x@lugnet.com... (...) sure that (...) prefer good (...) plastic (...) of (...) someone (...) (...) (24 years ago, 26-Oct-00, to lugnet.starwars, lugnet.technic)

  Re: What is with the Technic Stormtrooper?

Some of both I'm sure : ) (...) (24 years ago, 26-Oct-00, to lugnet.starwars, lugnet.technic)

  Re: What is with the Technic Stormtrooper?

(...) C-3PO is the better of the two, but they're both pretty bad. I think the problem here is both sets were guys in suits, as opposed to last year's technic droids which were all cgi constructs. Plus, half the appeal of last year's droids was that (...) (24 years ago, 26-Oct-00, to lugnet.starwars, lugnet.technic)

  Re: What is with the Technic Stormtrooper?

(...) I completely agree. They are plain ugly and utterly disappointing. And I can't see any mechanical functions other than the stupid launching thing in the hands of trooper. They don't have even the elegance/close resemblance of the same series (...) (24 years ago, 26-Oct-00, to lugnet.starwars, lugnet.technic)

  Re: What is with the Technic Stormtrooper?

(...) I am really looking forward to this set, not as a set but as a parts pack. Its the only set to date that has the small decorative panels in white. It also has a number of other parts in white and some in black. Plus its the only set that has (...) (24 years ago, 26-Oct-00, to lugnet.starwars, lugnet.technic, lugnet.year.2001)

  Re: What is with the Technic Stormtrooper?

This isn't meant to be directed at anyone in particular, but given the currently available range of LEGO pieces that have been seen in Technic sets lately, could anyone out there have done better? TLG's designers did a reasonably good job, given (...) (24 years ago, 26-Oct-00, to lugnet.starwars, lugnet.technic)

  Re: What is with the Technic Stormtrooper?

In lugnet.starwars, Todd Lehman writes: <snip> (...) I think thats probably as close as you are going to get to what happened. I have a feeling these will be on clearence in no time. (...) No thats saying something comming from you!!! (...) Agreed, (...) (24 years ago, 26-Oct-00, to lugnet.starwars, lugnet.technic, lugnet.year.2001)

  Re: What is with the Technic Stormtrooper?

(...) Ahh but TLG's designers Arn't limited to the "currently available range of LEGO pieces". They can design new parts if needed. I think the main problem is the head and all that would have required is some sort of molded mask that looked like a (...) (24 years ago, 26-Oct-00, to lugnet.starwars, lugnet.technic)

  Re: What is with the Technic Stormtrooper?

(...) I dunno: seems like it'd be awfully drafty... Ran [Imagining a ring of minifig archers surrounding a Technic-walled castle, cackling "Haha! Baldur was right: it *is* just like shooting fish in a barrel!"] (24 years ago, 26-Oct-00, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.starwars)

  Re: What is with the Technic Stormtrooper?

(...) I hardly think so. The alternative would be to have new molds for the specific parts like the Stormtrooper helmet or hands or feet or... Do we want that? (I don't.) Another alternative would be to have large stickers or printed parts to make (...) (24 years ago, 26-Oct-00, to lugnet.starwars, lugnet.technic)

  Re: What is with the Technic Stormtrooper?

(...) I don't understand this. You said that you liked the minifig Stormtrooper, which is basically a new mold and some new printed parts (I suppose). And you would also like a the larger Technic Stormtrooper to have new molds to make it look more (...) (24 years ago, 26-Oct-00, to lugnet.starwars, lugnet.technic)

  Re: What is with the Technic Stormtrooper?

(...) It doesn't matter if anyone out here could or couldn't do better. If LEGO couldn't do any better, they should have scrapped the model at the planning stage. It's an embarrassingly transparent attempt to slap something together, throw a Star (...) (24 years ago, 26-Oct-00, to lugnet.starwars, lugnet.technic)

  Re: What is with the Technic Stormtrooper?

(...) No I am just suggesting a helmet. They did the head for R2-D2 in the Droid Developers kit... I am not suggesting a bunch of new parts, just one or two so the head looks right. As for would it still be LEGO? of course it would because LEGO (...) (24 years ago, 26-Oct-00, to lugnet.starwars, lugnet.technic)

  Re: What is with the Technic Stormtrooper?

(...) Well seeing they are in the middle of filming EP2 I would bet the resources devoted to this sort of things arn't quite what they were. Eric Kingsley (24 years ago, 26-Oct-00, to lugnet.starwars, lugnet.technic)

  Re: What is with the Technic Stormtrooper?

(...) Yeah, I know BG bears more than a passing resemblance to SW, but the Cylons were a cool design anyway, and way better looking than that Technic abomination, IMHO ~Mark "Muffin Head" Sandlin (24 years ago, 26-Oct-00, to lugnet.starwars, lugnet.technic)

  Re: What is with the Technic Stormtrooper?

(...) More than a passing resemblance? It was a conscious effort to capitalise on SW's popularity. Production notes from the development of the series bear this out. Not that this is *necessarily* a bad thing, mind you. I actually kinda like BG (...) (24 years ago, 26-Oct-00, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: What is with the Technic Stormtrooper?

(...) But the head of the R2-D2 is basically a quarter sphere, isn't it? Even with some printing on it, it is more generally useful than a Stormtrooper helmet would be. (...) I think it is a daring move from TLC to launch a set like this, which (...) (24 years ago, 26-Oct-00, to lugnet.starwars, lugnet.technic)

  Re: What is with the Technic Stormtrooper?

(...) I agree. As a rabid mecha fan, I look at those little ball-joint pieces and such and see a great array of mecha parts. I personally can't wait. (...) Ok, that's just weird ;) -Jeremiah- "Achitecture isn't about beauty of design or integration (...) (24 years ago, 26-Oct-00, to lugnet.starwars, lugnet.technic, lugnet.year.2001)

  Re: What is with the Technic Stormtrooper?

(...) I accept your point when it applies to some extreme examples of this, and I too sometimes find myself questioning the relevance of certain official lego models, but I do not see that this can be applied globally. Many of these parts (half (...) (24 years ago, 26-Oct-00, to lugnet.starwars, lugnet.technic)

  Re: What is with the Technic Stormtrooper?

(...) I think I was older before I figured out that there were real people in Stormtroopers... (Never mind the fact that Luke and Han get in the suits, obviously they just ripped the panels off the robots! Yeah, that's it...I was an idiot when I was (...) (24 years ago, 26-Oct-00, to lugnet.starwars, lugnet.technic)

  Re: What is with the Technic Stormtrooper?

(...) Well, heck, there was a real person in C-3PO as well, so I think we can be forgiven... (...) Yeah! I'll never forget when it finally dawned on me... it was an issue of Marvel's Star Wars title that made it fairly painfully clear. I don't (...) (24 years ago, 26-Oct-00, to lugnet.starwars, lugnet.technic)

  Re: What is with the Technic Stormtrooper?

(...) I'd be amazed if the toy-marketing-spin-off department of Lucasfilm had anything to do with the production process of EP2; Approving (or not) this kind of toy is presumably exactly what they're paid to do. ---...--- Mark Cogan (...) (24 years ago, 26-Oct-00, to lugnet.starwars, lugnet.technic)

  Re: What is with the Technic Stormtrooper?

(...) [] Actually, my beef isn't that it doesn't look like a stormtrooper, or that it doesn't use beams, or that it's not a vehicle. It's that, as far as I can tell, it doesn't *do* anything. Technic, for me, has always been about building (...) (24 years ago, 26-Oct-00, to lugnet.starwars, lugnet.technic)

  (canceled)

  Re: What is with the Technic Stormtrooper?

(...) Judging by the volumes of Lucas-licensed plastic detritus (Jar-Jar pez dispenser, anyone?) that have been licensed, I'm not suprised that Lucas has allowed the Lego Cylon Soldier (I can't bring myself to acknowlege that it's supposed to be a (...) (24 years ago, 26-Oct-00, to lugnet.starwars, lugnet.technic)

  Re: What is with the Technic Stormtrooper?

(...) I admit that I am not an accomplished Technic builder by any means; I suppose that it is just a matter of preference on my part. I do think that the range of new connecting pieces is very useful and quite overdue. I just don't care much for (...) (24 years ago, 26-Oct-00, to lugnet.starwars, lugnet.technic)

  Re: What is with the Technic Stormtrooper?

(...) Granted, but... (...) I'm not so sure that this is altogether Lego's philosophy now-adays; judging by all the POOPS (even in the SW sets to an unsettling degree), Lego's doesn't seem to have a lot of confidence in using the creative building (...) (24 years ago, 26-Oct-00, to lugnet.starwars, lugnet.technic)

  Re: What is with the Technic Stormtrooper?

(...) Indeed, I'm glad they didn't mess it up like Boba Fett. I think it's quite the object many people dreamed of being produced after ep. 4 came out :) (...) I agree, but hey, don't we all need 20 TIE fighters anyway?:) (...) Hey! How would *you* (...) (24 years ago, 26-Oct-00, to lugnet.starwars, lugnet.technic, lugnet.year.2001)

  Re: What is with the Technic Stormtrooper?

(...) Ugh- more ball joints that won't hold any weight. Has anyone actually gotten a Throwawaybot to stand up after having played with it for 5 minutes? I found that the joints became about as floppy as a trailer hitch after even minimal use. -- (...) (24 years ago, 26-Oct-00, to lugnet.starwars, lugnet.technic, lugnet.build.mecha)

  Re: What is with the Technic Stormtrooper?

(...) I agree with you about C3P0 and the Stormtrooper, but I thought the EP1 droids were very cool, especially since the droids in the movie had some resemblance to Technic. :) And LEGO had never made 10" tall figures before (to my knowledge). (...) (24 years ago, 26-Oct-00, to lugnet.starwars, lugnet.technic)

  Re: What is with the Technic Stormtrooper?

(...) As a matter of fact I have. Furthermore, I build mecha that stand 8-9 in. tall over and over again (and mix and match joint combos often). Mark Sandlin and Ben Vaughn use those peices in their mecha on occasion too. Of course if youre (...) (24 years ago, 26-Oct-00, to lugnet.starwars, lugnet.technic, lugnet.build.mecha)

  Re: What is with the Technic Stormtrooper?

Yep, I agree. I actually don't but technic anymore just for the reason that these beam pieces are not LEGO enough. The main pieces they use are the L-shaped studless beam mentioned above. They also use way too many rods and those giant molded (...) (24 years ago, 26-Oct-00, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: What is with the Technic Stormtrooper?

(...) -*-They hold weight for me...quite nicely in fact (...) -*-I have too! I use pnumatic hoses and cellophane to support the joints(I don't actually need it, if the hoses are tight enough.) I use two double sided ones joined together one on each (...) (24 years ago, 26-Oct-00, to lugnet.starwars, lugnet.technic, lugnet.build.mecha)

  Re: What is with the Technic Stormtrooper?

(...) Hey, maybe Threepio will unfold and stand up at the push of a button. ;-) (...) Threepio should have a target on his chest. --Todd (24 years ago, 26-Oct-00, to lugnet.starwars, lugnet.technic, lugnet.year.2001)

  Re: What is with the Technic Stormtrooper?

(...) LOL!!!! --Todd (24 years ago, 26-Oct-00, to lugnet.starwars, lugnet.technic, lugnet.year.2001)

  Re: What is with the Technic Stormtrooper?

(...) And his head should pop off if you hit it. [BTW: Anyone else think the Technic C3PO looks like a monkey?] (24 years ago, 26-Oct-00, to lugnet.starwars, lugnet.technic, lugnet.year.2001)

  Re: What is with the Technic Stormtrooper?

(...) I can't speak for Eric and I'm sure he'll answer anyway, but my $.02 is that I agree that probably no one could have done any better with current parts. But I also feel that just because that's true (assuming it is) doesn't mean that the set (...) (24 years ago, 26-Oct-00, to lugnet.starwars, lugnet.technic)

  Re: What is with the Technic Stormtrooper?

(...) I couldn't agree more!!! (...) Does Lucasfilm Licensing listen to complaints from fans? Maybe if enough people write and complain, they'll crack down on LEGO for making crap like this and it won't happen in 2002. (Well, I can dream, can't I?) (...) (24 years ago, 26-Oct-00, to lugnet.starwars, lugnet.technic, lugnet.year.2001)

  Re: What is with the Technic Stormtrooper?

Look out, Yoda is next. (24 years ago, 26-Oct-00, to lugnet.starwars, lugnet.technic, lugnet.year.2001)

  Re: What is with the Technic Stormtrooper?

(...) Maybe they'll do a LEGO MindStorms motorized talking Yoda head! "Mmmmm, hep hep, hep hep. Luminous beings are we. Do, or do not. There is no try. Away put your weapon--I mean you no harm! Always buy more LEGO you must!" Master Yoda, you look (...) (24 years ago, 26-Oct-00, to lugnet.starwars, lugnet.technic, lugnet.year.2001)

  Re: What is with the Technic Stormtrooper?

heh heh... Who'll be the first to build Yoda out of the Statue of Liberty? Mindstorms Yoda: if there's a Droid Developer Kit and a Dark Side Developer Kit, what will they call this one? (24 years ago, 27-Oct-00, to lugnet.starwars, lugnet.technic, lugnet.year.2001)

  Re: What is with the Technic Stormtrooper?

(...) Did someone just turn up the "fun" knob? Imagine somewhere is a set designer, and a mischievous intern informs him of all the ways his model has been mocked... (24 years ago, 27-Oct-00, to lugnet.starwars, lugnet.technic, lugnet.year.2001)

  Re: What is with the Technic Stormtrooper?

(...) Tony, I've been using two or three (and on my new mech four) together to make hip and shoulder joints that can hold 6-7 pounds. I use the "clip" sockets and not the flat feet type ones. Oh and like John says if you're talking about the throw (...) (24 years ago, 27-Oct-00, to lugnet.starwars, lugnet.technic, lugnet.build.mecha)

  Re: What is with the Technic Stormtrooper?

(...) Lego could've made some smaller quarter spheres, in two different sizes with printing for the eyes and mouth, and laid those over the front of the Stormtrooper head... that would have given it a more "realistic look" while keeping the parts (...) (24 years ago, 27-Oct-00, to lugnet.starwars, lugnet.technic)

  Re: What is with the Technic Stormtrooper?

(...) Hmm... Can we call it some kind of fetishism?..:-) Selçuk (24 years ago, 27-Oct-00, to lugnet.starwars, lugnet.technic, lugnet.year.2001)

  Re: What is with the Technic Stormtrooper?

Well, you are not the only one. I think most of us who started with Technic for lots of yeasrs will feel this way... I do buy these sets though because I want to try to keep my technic collection complete... greetings (...) (24 years ago, 27-Oct-00, to lugnet.starwars, lugnet.technic)

  Re: What is with the Technic Stormtrooper?

(...) Actually this is one thread I really hope LEGO and the designer(s) involved do read, or at least catch wind of. Although LEGO will never admit to a screw-up like this one they can at least file it away and say internally "you know those LUGNET (...) (24 years ago, 27-Oct-00, to lugnet.starwars, lugnet.technic, lugnet.year.2001)

  Re: What is with the Technic Stormtrooper?

(...) of (...) I know how you feel. Same here.. That brings up an interesting question, I wonder what people said when someone invented the wheel? "Oh no, not another specialised piece to handle... How to use that ugly thingy in my boat.." Are we (...) (24 years ago, 27-Oct-00, to lugnet.starwars, lugnet.technic)

  Re: What is with the Technic Stormtrooper?

Something that nobody seems to have brought up yet, what is the idea of having two different kneecaps? Martin (24 years ago, 27-Oct-00, to lugnet.starwars, lugnet.technic, lugnet.year.2001)

  Re: What is with the Technic Stormtrooper?

Never mind, just took a look at the real thing and see that they are the same, strange! Martin ----- Original Message ----- From: "Martin Scragg" <mnm@bigpond.net.au> To: <lugnet.starwars@lugnet.com>; <lugnet.technic@lugnet.com>; (...) (24 years ago, 27-Oct-00, to lugnet.starwars, lugnet.technic, lugnet.year.2001)

  Re: What is with the Technic Stormtrooper?

Given the great differences in set quality across the entire line of Star Wars Lego models, I don't see why there is such a big discussion over this particular set. Are we suggesting that the Technic stormtrooper is the only Star Wars set available (...) (24 years ago, 27-Oct-00, to lugnet.starwars, lugnet.technic)

  Re: What is with the Technic Stormtrooper?