 Star Wars / 9526
Re: What is with the Technic Stormtrooper?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars, lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 27 Oct 2000 20:27:06 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Fredrik Glöckner writes:
I hear your comments on this, but honestly I don't understand your
view.  How is the Stormtrooper so much worse than the other Star Wars
models?

The other SW models look like SW ships and things.  The Stormtrooper doesn't
look like something from the SW universe.  If you're told, "Hey, this is a
Stormtrooper," you could say, "Ah, yes, OK, that looks like a Stormtrooper,"
but it doesn't (IMHO) do that by itself -- especially with the rubber
projectile.

I mean, they are all just approximations of the real things,
and even the UCS sets have flaws, or so I've heard.

You say that you like the Pit Droid.  But that model uses basically
the same building technique as the Stormtrooper, in that it has
flexible tubes and arches to represent disc and sphere like shapes.

I think the problem boils down to the recognizability factor -- Stormtroopers
have "faces" that are extremely distinctive masks -- there's a focal point
that I see and think of, and I don't see it in the Technic model.

I'm not into Star Wars.  But I still recognized the Stormtrooper from
the catalogue images.  Perhaps the reason for me not understanding you
is the fact that I'm not a Star Wars fan?  Perhaps Star Wars fans are
more likely to expect a Star Wars model to have realistically molded
elements?  I dunno.

Sounds like a good theory to me.  I'm a bigtime SW fan and could probably
draw most ships on paper with my eyes closed.  I watch the SW trilogy on tape
while sorting LEGO, so I've prolly seen it 100 times.  (I hated Episode I
so much, BTW, that I only saw it 7 times in the theatre last year.  :-)

Anyway, I'm happy to hear that you are not saying that the designers
efforts were bad.

Not at all -- I think it's a great effort (except the rubber projectile --
but I won't question their wisdom).

Honestly I find it a bit disturbing when people
call it "a thrown toghether pile of junk" or something to that effect.

That's just because we're disappointed in LEGO for releasing it.  It's
emotion.

--Todd

I bet it took a lot of effort to create the models.  Seeing the images
cerainly has given me a lot of inspiration.  Now, if only I had more
time for building...

Fredrik