 Star Wars / 9374
Re: What is with the Technic Stormtrooper?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars, lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 25 Oct 2000 20:09:17 GMT

"Eric Kingsley" <kingsley@nelug.org> writes:

This has to be one of the ugliest things I have seen!  If they
didn't tell me what it was I would have never guessed it was a
Stormtrooper.

http://collectibles.echostation.com/fbtb/2/techsw03.jpg

I have to say I disagree!  What I like with the figure is how it
resembles the Stormtrooper by only using Technic style elements.  It's
the same kind of building technique as eg. in the 8448 Technic
Supercar.  I'm sure no LEGO designers believe that an ordinary car has
a body which is only outlined by flexible tubes.  But the 8448 still
looks like a real car even though the body panels are missing.

If you built a Stormtrooper at the same scale by using "ordinary"
bricks, you could probably achieve a less "holey" figure, but the
result would still look highly unrealistic due to the blocky
appearance.

I'm also a bit puzzled by the fact that you say that you don't
recognize it.  I think the details around the "mouth", eyes and chin
portrays the Stormtrooper helmet really good.  This is definitively
what I would call an inspirational model.  I think it does a good job
at displaying what is possible to create with LEGO Technic elements.

I don't like C3PO too much though.  And the models don't appear to
have too many "working" functions, which is somewhat sad.

Fredrik