 Star Wars / 9441
Re: What is with the Technic Stormtrooper?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars, lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 26 Oct 2000 16:19:17 GMT

Bradley Dale wrote:

In lugnet.starwars, Eric Kingsley writes:
This has to be one of the ugliest things I have seen!  If they didn't tell me
what it was I would have never guessed it was a Stormtrooper.

http://collectibles.echostation.com/fbtb/2/techsw03.jpg

I really, really, really hope LEGO didn't think that a Stormtrooper was a
Robot. :-(.

I now know at least one 2001 set I won't be buying.

Eric Kingsley

Who says that just because it's technic, it has to be a machine?  We can build
anything we want with LEGO System- buildings, vehicles, animals, and even
sculptures of people.  Why is Technic so limited then?

[]

Actually, my beef isn't that it doesn't look like a stormtrooper, or
that it doesn't use beams, or that it's not a vehicle. It's that, as far
as I can tell, it doesn't *do* anything.

Technic, for me, has always been about building *functional* models --
models that did stuff, and didn't just sit there. Way back before my
dark age, when the first Technic models came out, I use to look over the
catalog and memorize which models had which "functions" -- the yellow
fork lift (which I had) had working steering and a working lift (two
functions); the red tractor had steering and a working farming
attachment (two functions), and the big 'PKW' car had steering,
transmission, an engine, and adjustable seats (four functions!).

I still look at new Technic sets and count the functions. That's one of
the reasons I won't be buying any of the 2000 Technic vehicles -- they
don't do much -- certainly not when you compare them to amazing sets
like the shuttle (8480) or the supercars (8880 and 8448). The Silver
Champion, as far as I can tell, has steering and an engine -- for $180!
I can't shake the feeling that, on the "important" level, it's no better
than that 1977 yellow forklift.

So, when I saw the C3P0 and Stormtrooper pictures, I looked for
"functions". And I don't see any. The 2000 Star Wars technic models all
"do things" -- in the case of the Destroyer Droid, it does one very
complex thing with amazing intricacy. But it looks like the 2001 sets
are, um, poseable. And that's it. (The gun-dingus that the Stormtrooper
has doesn't count).

I might buy them for parts, and if I do, I'll build the models once, but
I don't think they're things I'll re-build. And I don't think that I'll
go stealing assemblies or design ideas from them for other models, like
I keep doing with 8480.

Mark Cogan    marq@arttoday.com                     +1-520-881-8101
ArtToday      www.arttoday.com