 Star Wars / 9444
Re: What is with the Technic Stormtrooper?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars, lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 26 Oct 2000 17:12:05 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Jennifer Clark writes:
James Simpson wrote:

These new stud-less angled beams and misc. plastic
bits are too specialized, IMO.  I know that they make possible all sorts of
different shapes, but...it hardly seems like Lego sometimes.

I accept your point when it applies to some extreme examples of this, and I too
sometimes find myself questioning the relevance of certain official lego models,
but I do not see that this can be applied globally. Many of these parts (half beams
etc) do satisfy a gap in the Technic range that really needed addressing; as a
Technic fan back in early Eighties I frequently found myself wishing for such
elements!

So while I agree that overuse of those items can sometimes lead to odd looking
creations - not that this is always a bad thing - I think integration of them with
the standard beams can lead to better results than standard beams alone. It did
take me a few months to get my head round the idea of using them though, I have to
admit!

For the record, I think the C3PO is not too bad at all :-)

I admit that I am not an accomplished Technic builder by any means; I suppose
that it is just a matter of preference on my part.  I do think that the range of
new connecting pieces is very useful and quite overdue.  I just don't care much
for the body panels (e.g. Super Street Sensation) and so forth.  They make a
sleek model, but seem to take away the challenges of sculpting with plates
slopes, etc.  The mechanics of the new sets are infinitely more complex and
challenging, but the presentation seems to have lost something.  Just slap on a
body panel.

FU to lugnet.technic