 Star Wars / 9512
Re: What is with the Technic Stormtrooper?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars, lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 27 Oct 2000 15:59:38 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Fredrik Glöckner writes:

I hear your comments on this, but honestly I don't understand your
view.  How is the Stormtrooper so much worse than the other Star Wars
models?  I mean, they are all just approximations of the real things,
and even the UCS sets have flaws, or so I've heard.

I can't answer for Todd, but I'll try and explain why I feel the Stormtrooper
is not a good set.

You say that you like the Pit Droid.  But that model uses basically
the same building technique as the Stormtrooper, in that it has
flexible tubes and arches to represent disc and sphere like shapes.

It's not the building technique I have a problem with.  I think that the Pit
Droid, the Droideka, the Battle Droid, and even C-3PO *look* like what they are
represeting.  Apart from being white, I just don't think that the Stormtrooper
actually looks very much like a Stormtrooper.  Kida vaguely, if I cross my eyes
or squint.  But I don't think it's enough of a likeness to produce the set and
label it as a Stormtrooper.

I'm not into Star Wars.  But I still recognized the Stormtrooper from
the catalogue images.  Perhaps the reason for me not understanding you
is the fact that I'm not a Star Wars fan?  Perhaps Star Wars fans are
more likely to expect a Star Wars model to have realistically molded
elements?  I dunno.

No, I am a *big* Star Wars fan and I would not like to see prefab or
"juniorised" elements.  I would not like to see, for example, a single piece
made to represent the wing of the System TIE Fighter, even if it would more
perfectly resemble the ship.  I am also a LEGO fan, and I would rather see
well-designed things made out of standard LEGO parts- if a new part must be
introdused, do everything possible to make it useful in other contexts as well.

I am not saying that I could build a better Stormtrooper, or that I know how
LEGO could have fixed theirs.  I just think it shouldn't have made it off the
drawing boards in the state it's in, even if that meant scrapping the whole set
concept.

Of course, in the end, I really don't care too much.  I know I will not buy it,
and no one is forcing me to do so.  I just hope this isn't idicative of the way
they see the Star Wars license going- but given that there are plenty of System
sets for 2001 that I think are great (most notably, the Imperial Shuttle) I'm
not even too worried about that.

eric