 Star Wars / 9511
Re: What is with the Technic Stormtrooper?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars, lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 27 Oct 2000 15:55:01 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Mark Koesel writes:

For the record, I think that not only is the Stormtrooper a decent set,
creatively speaking, but it's a pretty decent facsimile of a
Stormtrooper.  Same for C3PO.  Both are way ahead of the Pit Droid and
the R2D2, IMHO.

It may be a nifty set, I don't know, but...it is not a reasonable representation
of a Stormtrooper, IMO.  I'm not much of a Technic fan anylonger, but had the
Stormtrooper set had the quality , elegance, and reasonable accuracy of the
Battle Droid, I was fully planning to buy it just so I could set that bad boy on
my shelf.  Lego really blew it on this one.  Hey, if people buy it and enjoy it,
great for them.  But had Lego really been paying attention to the free marketing
survey that this newsgroup effectively offers them, then they would realize that
most of us SW-fanatic AFOL's are ravenous for Stormtroopers;  I'd wager that had
a more accurate design (and yes, I'll say it...a BETTER effort, at least in
terms of recognizable accuracy) been given us, then that set would fly off of
the shelves.  If Lego intends to do Star Wars, then we can hope that they would
do it well.  And they have, up to this point.  The SW line has literally been a
dream come true, but this particular set is a disappointment in terms of being a
faithful representation of Star Wars.  A glorified throwbot, I call it.