 Star Wars / 9510
Re: What is with the Technic Stormtrooper?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars, lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 27 Oct 2000 15:53:27 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Fredrik Glöckner writes:
Todd Lehman <lehman@javanet.com> writes:

[...] I can only kvetch about how bad the model looks.  IMHO, it
should either look good or not exist at all.  The Technic Pit
Droid, Battle Droid, and Destroyer Droid all look great (IMHO) and
C-3PO is marginal, but the Stormtrooper is extremely disappointing.

I hear your comments on this, but honestly I don't understand your
view.  How is the Stormtrooper so much worse than the other Star Wars
models?  I mean, they are all just approximations of the real things,
and even the UCS sets have flaws, or so I've heard.

Well let me try and explain my point of view better with some examples.

I look at set 7191 you don't have to tell me that its an X-Wing.  The same goes
for basically all the System Star Wars sets and even all the Technic Star Wars
sets except for the Stormtrooper.

To tell you the truth the first time I saw the picture I said "what the heck is
that?".  Then I read Stormtrooper and I said... well I can't repeat what I said
;-).

If LEGO had made the same set and called it "Space Trooper" and not put a Star
Wars label on it I wouldn't have a problem with it and might even think it was
kind of cool.  The problem lies in that it is supposed to look like something I
am very familiar with and it bears no resemblance to a Stormtrooper IMHO.

You say that you like the Pit Droid.  But that model uses basically
the same building technique as the Stormtrooper, in that it has
flexible tubes and arches to represent disc and sphere like shapes.

Again the Pit Droid looks like a Pit Droid.  The Stormtrooper isn't
recognizable as such.  It has nothing to do with building technique, it has
everything to do with recognizability.

I'm not into Star Wars.  But I still recognized the Stormtrooper from
the catalogue images.  Perhaps the reason for me not understanding you
is the fact that I'm not a Star Wars fan?  Perhaps Star Wars fans are
more likely to expect a Star Wars model to have realistically molded
elements?  I dunno.

I think that is probably exactly the differance.  I was 7 when Star Wars came
out and it made a hugh impression on me from an entertainment point of view and
I expect a high level of quality from anything related to it.

My guess is that if you took 10 Star Wars fans that were not LEGO fans and
showed them this model that you would be lucky to get one or two that would
recognize it as a Stormtrooper.

Anyway, I'm happy to hear that you are not saying that the designers
efforts were bad.  Honestly I find it a bit disturbing when people
call it "a thrown toghether pile of junk" or something to that effect.
I bet it took a lot of effort to create the models.  Seeing the images
cerainly has given me a lot of inspiration.  Now, if only I had more
time for building...

Well don't take "a thrown together pile of junk" to mean we think it is poorly
constructed.  We say that because it does not portray what it is supposed to
portray and we feel it was put out on the market just to put a Star Wars label
on one more set.

Finally, I do understand where you are comming from but understand that Star
Wars fans can be incredibly passionate about it and we expect a lot when the
Star Wars label is put on something.  For something to be unrecognizable as a
Stormtrooper to a Star Wars fan is a travesty.

Eric Kingsley

The New England LEGO Users Group
http://www.nelug.org/