 Star Wars / 9516
Re: What is with the Technic Stormtrooper?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars, lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 27 Oct 2000 16:40:35 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Fredrik Glöckner writes:

This implies that while the level of accuracy of the LEGO Pit Droid
and the LEGO Stormtrooper models may be comparable, the Stormtrooper
model will still be inferior (in your view), as more accuracy is
needed to depict it accurately.  In that case, LEGO should avoid
difficult characters like the Stormtrooper, and stick to Star Wars
characters that are more easily recognizeable?

That sounds like a good plan to me,

In my opinion, this is all about imagination.  It takes some
imagination to recognize the LEGO Stormtrooper as a Stormtrooper.
This is the kind of imagination the I think LEGO is all about.

To me, LEGO is about the imagination to create new things (or to find ways to
represent things), not about the imagination to see pictures in the clouds.

No
offence, of course, but I think perhaps that the 10 above Star Wars
fans will be more happy with realistic looking non-LEGO Star Wars
products than the LEGO brand Star Wars product we have seen lately.

Not really.  I know an entire household (6 friends who are roommates) who are
not LEGO fans except in the most general way... I went to college with them, as
I was coming out of my Dark Ages, and none of them questioned why I liked LEGO
or that I wanted to play with LEGO, although none of them went out and spent
money on it like I did... anyway, when the Star Wars sets came out, they all
went out and bought them because they are *Star Wars* fans, and they liked the
sets because they were well made (back in college they used to complain about
BURPs and other juniorisations making LEGO not what it was in the "old days").
They liked the fact that these were *LEGO* versions of *Star Wars* toys.

I also know that if I show them the picture of the Stormtrooper, though, they
will say things about it I cannot type on Lugnet.  ;D

It has nothing to do with wanting total accuracy, and everything to do with
wanting recognisability.  I don't think that one is directly equivalent to the
other.

eric