 Star Wars / 9517
Re: What is with the Technic Stormtrooper?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars, lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 27 Oct 2000 16:40:59 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Fredrik Glöckner writes:

Sorry to interrupt here; Just a couple of observations/questions...

Ah, so you're saying that the Pit Droid looks like a Pit Droid because
virtually no other "gizmo" has the same looks?  But the Stormtrooper,
on the other hand, is basically a humanoid shape with a specific set
of armour plates.  Hence, as this is a very common shape, more
accuracy is needed to model the Stormtrooper.

Reliable accuracy is indeed needed for both.  Lego did very well with the Pit
Droid, and I have all confidence that Lego could do very well with the
Stormtrooper.  I imagine that some of the model prototypes that led to the final
product were much better.  Probably some middle-management wonder decided that
we'd all rush out to buy an army of Stormtroopers no matter what it looked like,
so diligent quality suffered.  Nice throwbot.  Not-so-nice Stormtrooper.

This implies that while the level of accuracy of the LEGO Pit Droid
and the LEGO Stormtrooper models may be comparable, the Stormtrooper
model will still be inferior (in your view), as more accuracy is
needed to depict it accurately.  In that case, LEGO should avoid
difficult characters like the Stormtrooper, and stick to Star Wars
characters that are more easily recognizeable?

A more difficult subject requires more diligence to faithfully reproduce.

- snippage-

In my opinion, this is all about imagination.  It takes some
imagination to recognize the LEGO Stormtrooper as a Stormtrooper.
This is the kind of imagination the I think LEGO is all about.

I have no doubt that the imaginative ability of the Lego designers is sufficient
to create a Stormtrooper that is accurate, recognizable, and marketable.

Respectfully,

James