 Star Wars / 9515
Re: What is with the Technic Stormtrooper?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars, lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 27 Oct 2000 16:37:04 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Fredrik Glöckner writes:
"Eric Kingsley" <kingsley@nelug.org> writes:

Again the Pit Droid looks like a Pit Droid.  The Stormtrooper isn't
recognizable as such.  It has nothing to do with building
technique, it has everything to do with recognizability.

Ah, so you're saying that the Pit Droid looks like a Pit Droid because
virtually no other "gizmo" has the same looks?  But the Stormtrooper,
on the other hand, is basically a humanoid shape with a specific set
of armour plates.  Hence, as this is a very common shape, more
accuracy is needed to model the Stormtrooper.

This implies that while the level of accuracy of the LEGO Pit Droid
and the LEGO Stormtrooper models may be comparable, the Stormtrooper
model will still be inferior (in your view), as more accuracy is
needed to depict it accurately.  In that case, LEGO should avoid
difficult characters like the Stormtrooper, and stick to Star Wars
characters that are more easily recognizeable?

No thats not it.  I agree with you that it is a harder form to accurately
depict without creating new parts but if they could accurately depict a
Stormtrooper or other character then I would be all for it.  LEGO should not
have avoided the Stormtrooper but they should have made the call to either
scrap it when it became obvious they couldn't accurately portray the character
or, put it off for a year until they could accurately portray a Stormtrooper.

As far as recognizeable characters go the Stormtrooper is probably second only
to Darth Vader in terms of recognizeability so it was a perfect choice to *try*
and create.  They just either didn't put enough time into the development
process or they decided they would rather have an inferior Stormtrooper then no
Stormtrooper at all.

I personally would have rather had no Stormtrooper at all (In the Technic
line).

I know we disagree on this and that is fine I just want to try and make my
views clear.

Eric Kingsley

The New England LEGO Users Group
http://www.nelug.org/