 Star Wars / 9501
Re: What is with the Technic Stormtrooper?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars, lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 27 Oct 2000 15:00:07 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Mark Koesel writes:

Given the great differences in set quality across the entire line of
Star Wars Lego models, I don't see why there is such a big discussion
over this particular set.

Because some of us think it is by far the most disappointing one of the lot?
And moreover, I know at least a few of us think it's a thrown-together pile of
nonsense, expected to sell because it's branded with the Star Wars name- and as
Star Wars fans *and* LEGO fans, that actually offends us?

In fact, isn't it the case that even the best official Lego Star Wars
sets out there can be made worlds better by some AFOL?

I agree that an AFOL can probably make a better verion of just about any of the
Star Wars sets.  But given that an AFOL doesn't have to worry about price
points for the set, doesn't have to worry about using overly complex building
techniques that might be nigh-undocumentable (let alone push the complexity out
of a certain age bracket), can use parts that have been discontinued by LEGO
(and conversely isn't feeling pressure from his bosses to include certain "new"
elements in the construction), etc etc etc.

I guess what I'm saying is -- why stop at this set?  Shouldn't we be
complaining that Lego ought not have gotten into Star Wars Lego at all,
given that none of the sets they have produced can do the "real life
thing" any justice?

No.  I disagree with that sentiment, actually.

I think the System X-Wing is a beautiful set.  I also think the Speeder Bikes
are a great set, and the simplicity and accuracy of the Landspeeder blow me
away.  I love the AAT set.  The A-Wing is also great.  Unlike some other AFOLs,
I very much like the Millenium Falcon set.

And I won't even get into the Star Wars sets I personally consider to be
mediocre, but still above the rest of the current LEGO offerings outside of the
Star Wars line.

But that Stormtrooper is unconscienable.

eric