 Star Wars / 9594
Re: What is with the Technic Stormtrooper?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars, lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 31 Oct 2000 14:52:53 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Todd Lehman wrote:

In lugnet.starwars, Selçuk Göre writes:
No, it is an Ep4-6 model. He has modeled as he having the cowlings, even
with a silver cowling instead of golden on one of his legs. I thought
that Todd was a "detail" man..:-)

All right, I stand corrected.  I looked at the rickety hollow body and didn't
look at the legs.

But this points out why the 2000 Technic droid sets 'worked': the EP1
droids were all skeletal and exposed mechanisms.  Very TECHNIC-ish.  The
TECHNIC models were not accurate, strictly speaking.  The bits were in the
wrong places, the way they folded up (especially the Pit Droid) was not
quite right.  But the models very much *evoked* the characters/droids they
were based on.

When I look at the picture of the 2001 Stormtrooper, I don't get a feeling
of "yep, that's a stormtrooper!  They really nailed that one!".  It looks
grayish, and hunched over.

It could be that it's just really bad photography (I know at least some of
my reaction is due to problems in photography or scanning -- the inset
picture is awful).  Maybe the Technic Stormtrooper is actually the coolest
thing since sliced bread.  But I doubt it.

The lack of function/actions doesn't help either.  And the cyberslam gun is
awful.

I think Todd is right - this may be a set that just shouldn't have been.

At least it has cool parts.

Steve