 Star Wars / 9557
Re: What is with the Technic Stormtrooper?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars, lugnet.technic, lugnet.year.2001
Date:
Sun, 29 Oct 2000 00:17:42 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Erik Olson writes:
Look out, Yoda is next.

True, true  (like in the Wassup ad)

There are several problems that now plagues the Technic Sets (yes I am a fan
and yes I will own those two).

First: where are the studs? This is how a Lego brick is recognized
worldwide. Bring back the studded beams - if Lego doesn't want to use them in
their sets they should at least make them available as spare parts.

Second: Pictures. Pictures are bad. I recently bought a few sets that I would
have never bought from the picture on the box. After building them, I was quite
pleased. It seems like Lego is trying to show the sets bigger than they are and
it distort the picture. Don't they understand that in the Technic world, a neat
compact design is preferred. Get an accurate and detailed picture please.

Third: Functions. As was previously mentionned (I can't remember the name),the
pleasure of Lego Technic building is functionality. I too, always count the
number of functions of a set to assess its value. What are the functions of
Stormtroopers - in the movie they die faster than the Empire can recruit them.
I think that their function is when you press sideway the button on their left
shoulder, the fall on their right. Lego would have been better creating a
Stormtrooper like the Liberty Statue. This brings me to the Yoda point. Lego
will probably create a Yoda and when you turn the green gear on it's back the
ears and eyebrows will move somehow - pathetic.

That ranting also brings me to the towball issue. I believe an old-fashioned
Technic builder (and specially robot builders) try to create designs that are
as frictionless as possible to minimize energy consumption. These "towballs"
certainly have a utility for Mecha builders for legs but they should not be
classified as "Technic" as their sole purpose is to keep thing static.

I guess I was Lego starved this week because of work and I have a lot of thing
to complain about. What is it with Lego that they do not advertise their
product "ahead of time" on their Website and they let us discover them by sheer
luck. Isn't it why corporate Websites are for. Another thing: those Websites
mentioned on the box that never work. I know that Lego job ads look for
programmers but I think that they should look into that right now.

I think that's enough for now.