 Star Wars / 9589
Re: What is with the Technic Stormtrooper?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars, lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 31 Oct 2000 07:13:06 GMT

Mark Koesel wrote:

I guess what I'm saying is -- why stop at this set?  Shouldn't we be
complaining that Lego ought not have gotten into Star Wars Lego at all,
given that none of the sets they have produced can do the "real life
thing" any justice?  Heck, even the UCS sets have glaring flaws.

First, Lego and Star Wars names on the same box had been a 20 year dream
for me, which finally became true, so I will say a very strong NO to
this one..:-)

Besides, I don't agree that Lego is producing bad quality sets in Star
Wars line. Lego is Lego, and it is not Airfix or Revell, or any other
thing. Any Lego model would have it's own deficiencies just because it
is created from readily available, not customizable, standard parts. You
can complain any Lego set, either Star Wars or not, if you don't look it
in a Legoish way. For the Star Wars sets produced under "System", I mean
produced in minifig scale, they are beautiful and well representative
models within the given limits, which we already know and accepted
(anyone complaining about one-man vehicles?) long ago. Up to date, I
still didn't see any SW sets that I really don't like. I'm also a very
hard fan of Star Wars (I have all the films and almost all the reference
books, besides many other things)  , I can list all the shortcomings of
the sets right now, but I'm also a Lego fan, and I'm well familiar with
the concept of "selective compression", and I think the job well done,
to date. My only problem with storm trooper set, is it is not an
appropriate subject for technic line. Technic is for vehicles, robotics,
etc. It is for mechanisms. Stand-up-and-do-nothing figures is out of
line here, and since rendering is extremely hard, they look ugly,
too.

As an additional note, when you look at an UCS set, the glaring thing is
the model itself, not the flaws I think, from a AFOL SW fan point of
view of course..:-)

Selçuk