 Star Wars / 9433
Re: What is with the Technic Stormtrooper?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars, lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 26 Oct 2000 14:39:32 GMT

"Eric Kingsley" <kingsley@nelug.org> writes:

No I am just suggesting a helmet.  They did the head for R2-D2 in
the Droid Developers kit...

But the head of the R2-D2 is basically a quarter sphere, isn't it?
Even with some printing on it, it is more generally useful than a
Stormtrooper helmet would be.

Already got em :-).  I agree with you entirely.  I just think one
or two additional parts for the head would have increased the sales
of this set a lot.

I think it is a daring move from TLC to launch a set like this, which
looks like a Stormtrooper (in my opinion) without relying on
specialized parts to compose that look.  It does a great job of
displaying the versatility of LEGO bricks, I think.

For example, a kid/adult/whatever can look at the Stormtrooper figure
and say: "If I replaced the white parts with black ones and altered
the helmet, could I make it look like Darth Wader?  Or could I compose
a figure which looks like some other character using a slightly
different selection of bricks?"  In my opinion, it is this kind of
creative building process that LEGO is all about.

Of course LEGO makes sets to earn money, in which case they could
perhaps have made even more by introducing more specialized parts, as
you say.  But as I see it, TLC also make money by getting people
hooked on the LEGO building experience.  In the long run, the Star
Wars craze may die off, and the LEGO collectors may turn to other
things to collect.  But if a lot of people are hooked on the kind of
creative building process above, they will still buy LEGO sets.

I suppose we basically disagree about a lot of things, so the
discussion isn't too worthwile.  ;-)

Fredrik