 Technic / 2715
Re: Counting functions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 27 Oct 2000 15:31:23 GMT

I still look at new Technic sets and count the functions. That's one of
the reasons I won't be buying any of the 2000 Technic vehicles -- they
don't do much -- certainly not when you compare them to amazing sets
like the shuttle (8480) or the supercars (8880 and 8448). The Silver
Champion, as far as I can tell, has steering and an engine -- for $180!
I can't shake the feeling that, on the "important" level, it's no better
than that 1977 yellow forklift.

You have a point there; I have the 8458 (got suckered into buying it from the
look) and it is extremely overpriced for what you get. It comes with some very
impressive wheels and lots of decoration pieces and looks very realistic when
built. But a price of $170 for steering, a V10 engine, suspension and 2
hydraulic shocks is downright insanity (IMHO). The only major plus-point for
this set is that there are many generic pieces which are very useful for custom
models.

I might buy them for parts, and if I do, I'll build the models once, but
I don't think they're things I'll re-build. And I don't think that I'll
go stealing assemblies or design ideas from them for other models, like
I keep doing with 8480.

Heh...I know what you mean; 8480 was an amazing set with its 7 functions. BTW
were there any sets besides 8862 and 8480 which included 7 distinct functions?