 Star Wars / 9546
Re: What is with the Technic Stormtrooper?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars, lugnet.technic
Date:
Sat, 28 Oct 2000 17:21:50 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Fredrik Glöckner writes:
"Lorbaat" <eric@nospam.thirteen.net> writes:
To me, LEGO is about the imagination to create new things (or to
find ways to represent things)

It is pretty obvious to me that most real life shapes cannot be
accurately modeled in LEGO bricks.  To be able to enjoy LEGO building,
one must have the imagination to recognize complex but common shapes
(e.g. vehicles or characters) in the basic and primitive shapes that
LEGO has to offer.  This is the kind of imagination I was refering to.

This is one of the greatest things about the variety of elements LEGO
produces, IMHO -- there aren't (obviously) an infinite variety of LEGO
shapes, but they've thought things through carefully enough to make a very
decent variety that can construct most things...and what it can't construct,
your mind fills in.

not about the imagination to see pictures in the clouds.

I'm not sure what you mean with this.

I know exactly what he means -- ever lay on the grass and stare up at the
clouds (Cumulo-Nimbus are my favorite type for this) and just watch them
float by and daydream and look for faces and animals and things?  You see
a splotch of cottony cloud and imagine that it looks like a dog, or a bird,
or a pirate.  Disney has a television commercial going on where the clouds
form a Mickey Mouse head.  Anyway, you use your imagination to see something
that's not really there in the actual geometric shapes of the clouds.

That's the kind of imagination he's saying that -- to him -- LEGO isn't
about.  He's not saying that -any- of that type of imagination is a bad
thing in his eyes, just that too much is too much.  I completely agree, but
I understand both viewpoints.

A lot of the train modelers here do what I think Larry called representational
modeling -- you try to get it as realistic as possible and leave as little up
to the viewer's imagination as possible.  In this type of modeling philosophy,
you try to maximize the amount of imagination which happens in in the builder/
designer's mind (while designing and building) and to minimize the amount of
imagination which happens in the viewer's mind (while viewing).

That way, the viewer can use his/her imagination to imagine the realistic-
looking object coming to life and doing things rather than spending all of
his/her imagination trying to figure out what the object is or filling in
the rough spots.

When I see the Technic Stormtrooper, I think, "Ahh, OK, so...that's supposed
to be a Stormtrooper.  O...kayyyy.  All right...I think I see it...  OK, yah,
I can see it's...enough like a Stormtrooper that I could probably remember
that's what it is."  Conversely, when I see the Technic Battle Droid, I think,
"Ahh, what a beautiful perfect model of a Battle Droid.  How does it work?
What does it do?  I want to try it out."

I don't want to use my imagination to pretend that something that doesn't
look like something looks like something.  I want to use my imagination to
pretend that something that does look like something is more real than it
really is.

Just two different kinds of imagination...  I suppose there must be many other
kinds...

--Todd