 Instructions / 571
Re: Proposed changes to MOTM Submission guidelines
Newsgroups:
lugnet.inst
Date:
Tue, 6 Jan 2004 19:19:11 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Kevin L. Clague wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Don Heyse wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Dan Boger wrote:
I guess I just disagree with you there :) I think it's better to
have a better contest, and perhaps lose a few entries of those who
want to sell their models.  The increased quality of the interface
is worth it, imo.

How about three contests: SotM, MotM and LDR file of the Month?

I thought about this for a while and have decided to retract my
positive swing on this.  The whole, dat required or not discussion
is somewhat moot IMHO.

Ouch!  That hurts.  Did you bump your head or something?

For a given complete physical model there are only so many
reasonable ways the model can be represented in the DAT file.  How
much style is there really when all you are talking about is the
complete model.  There are a few, issues like groups, and sub-model
files, but it is a pretty thin set of criteria to judge over.

I think you're missing the point.  With an LDR file I can move the
arms and legs of a Mech to see what it looks like in different poses.
I can spin the gears of a robot even if I don't own all the technic
parts required to build it.  I can set it spinning in LDVIEW and see
what it looks like from all sides.  I can look at the furniture inside
a house after it's built.  There's a lot of play value in an LDR file.
If I want, I can see what it looks like in a different color, or
rebuilt with more greeblies.

I really think ldraw.org should have at least one contest that
encourages the publication of LDR files.  What better way to get
people started with LDRAW than to provide them with some really fun
LDR files to play with.

A much more interesting contest might be - building instruction of
the month.  There are a broad set of techniques that can be applied
when it comes to creating building instructions.  It would be a much
richer set of things to consider, and a much richer set of things to
be taught and learned.  Style matters much more there.

But that sort of contest already has a home at The Building
Instructions Portal:  http://www.bricksonthebrain.com/instructions/

Ldraw.org is all about the LDR file.

Don