Re: Proposed changes to MOTM Submission guidelines
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Mon, 5 Jan 2004 20:47:46 GMT

"Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote in message

[ ... snipped ... ]

- All submissions will be in LDraw DAT or MPD format.

Makes good sense.  And I would prefer that we insist that
the submissitted files can be published on the LDraw.org
site.

I think this is an unreasonable restriction. I'd be interested in • understanding
why this is something that should be insisted on. In the offline • discussions
prior to presenting this proposal and elsewhere in the thread, there seem • to be
a number of people who don't think this restriction is reasonable or
necessary.

I too think this is an unreasonable restriction.  It has been a while since
I have submitted anything but if should this become a requirement, it will
probably prevent me from ever submitting something again.

I have done quite a few sets of instructions both as for kits I sell and as
PDF files I provide for free.  I don't provide .dat/.ldr/.mpd files nor do I
plan to.  There are a number of reasons I don't provide the raw source
files, one of the main reasons is I add comments to them for my use that I
am not interested in sharing at this time.  In many cases I have sub-models
that for one reason or another didn't make it to the final model.  I tend
not to delete them because I may want them sometime in the future.

I don't consider my .dat/.ldr/.mpd files as a finished product and really
don't want people looking through them.  It's sort of like looking through
my underwear drawer - there isn't really anything I ashamed of in it but I
wouldn't open it up for public inspection either.

If people want to share their .dat file, then their should be facilities to
do so.  If they don't want to, then  so be it.  Their desire to keep their
source to themselves should be honored.  I hope this doesn't become a
requirement.

Mike

Mike Walsh - mike_walsh at mindspring.com