Re: Proposed changes to MOTM Submission guidelines
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Sun, 4 Jan 2004 04:38:05 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Orion Pobursky wrote:

After formal running the MOTM contest for a month, I've becomed concerned with
the fairness of the contest.  In response to my concerns, I'd like to make the
following changes to the rules for MOTM in order to level the playing field.

Just to point out - this discussion is only about the Model of the Month.  The Scene
of the Month contest would not be change.  This would help sharpen focus of MOTM on
the actual LDraw model, and SOTM would focus on composition, rendering techniques,
etc.

- All submissions will be in LDraw DAT or MPD format.

Very good idea.

- All submission will be rendered by the contest coordinator using a rendering
program of the coordinators choice (LDGLite or L3P+POV-Ray preferred)

We could generate all views on the ldraw.org server automatically - no need to
manually process anything.

- The voting page will present 4 renders of each submission.  Each render will
be one of 4 standard views

I think it would be nice to have more than 4 views.  Actually, it would be cool to
generate a number of views, and be able to give a (crude) VR presentation.  I don't
think the MOTM gets so many entries that we can't generate a fair number of views
(ie, 26 or so - one at each 45-degrees of rotation).  And both thumbnail and
large-scale views.

I feel these changes will move the focus of the contest back to the models and
not the rending process.

Exactly.

A couple of notes from off LUGNet discussion:

- The raw DAT code will be kept completely confidential and will NOT be posted
on the LDraw.org website or anywhere else unless permission from the current
owner is obtained.

I'm not keen on this, but I understand reasons for it.  I'd say (generally) the
submitter should be the owner of copyright, or at least co-owner.

Anyway, it'd very keen to allow viewers (voters) to get the LDR code, so they could
evaluate the model in as much detail as they want.

- If the author still feels uncomfortable with sharing the DAT code, a page will
be maintained showing the current rendering standard and they will be allow to
do the renders.  This will be on a case-by-case basis and will only be allowed
with permission from the contest coordinator

I'm really not keen on this.

If the views are generated automatically, untouched by human hands, I don't see any
reason (outside of mistrust) not to submit the LDR/MPD file.

As far as what the standard views will be, I like:

In global coords:
45,45,0
-45,-45,0
45,-45,0
-45,45,0

I don't see this (4 views) as adequate -- I'd like some rear-views, but I wouldn't
want to give up any of the front-views you've suggested.

Steve