Re: Proposed changes to MOTM Submission guidelines
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Thu, 8 Jan 2004 03:23:42 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Larry Pieniazek wrote:

Maybe I'm confused but isn't asking that the .ldr file be made public for a
model to be submitted essentially an open source issue? It strikes me as one,
you're requiring that the author of a work make his work available to all.

I think this is a moot point, but...

The rule could be written so that a contributor must allow/license their work for
publication on the contest website, for people to view/examine in relation to the
contest, but not for further download/copying/etc.  That is somewhat unwieldy, but is
it that much worse (in terms of loss of control, public availability of IP) than a
$20.00 music CD that I could buy and an hour later upload to the internet?

Just a thought.

Steve