Re: Proposed changes to MOTM Submission guidelines
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Sun, 4 Jan 2004 04:53:37 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Orion Pobursky wrote:
After formal running the MOTM contest for a month, I've becomed concerned with
the fairness of the contest.  In response to my concerns, I'd like to make the
following changes to the rules for MOTM in order to level the playing field.

clip

If you disagree with anything written here, do not just post saying you
disagree. Please suggest a viable alternative with your post.

-Orion

I can understand your concern as to shift the focus more towards the modeling
side of the process, yet am concerned that it seems as if the rendering process
will be come almost an afterthought if your suggestions are followed.  Since the
tools to create these renderings are available to everyone at no cost, the only
advantage come to those more skilled in the use of pov-ray or other renderers.
In addition, even novice users have there own personal render setting such as
colors and lighting.  Using Ldraw is not just about the file, but about the
presentation as a whole.

I like the idea of presenting mutiple views so that voters can get a better feel
for the models.  But to remove the rendering process and put that burden on your
and other ldraw admin's shoulders seems unfair, both to users and all of the
admins.  I know the contest is called model of the month, but just like the real
world, presentation is 95% of the job.

Greg Overkamp

I just want to add that I have a feeling I won the latest motm in good part to
the radiosity settings on my render.  But I am also an architect, and after
seeing enough client presentations, I know how important the right depiction is.