Re: Proposed changes to MOTM Submission guidelines
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Sun, 4 Jan 2004 23:57:44 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Jan Folkersma wrote:

Why would someone not be willing to share his modelling efforts? Why is he/she
modelling in the first place? I do know that endless time and energy go into
most models and it might be atleast a bit annoying to see somebody else getting
credit for showing your model. But I think this comes with the territory. (in
this case, the Internet) I for one don't believe in the 'copyright' concept.
Nobody I know respects copyrights, including myself. (ok, hit me)
I'd say that one of the conditions for submitting should be that the model
becomes public. This might result in less models being submitted, so be it.
I think this would be a minor effect as I can't think of any reason for not
sharing our models.

best regards.

Models can be copyrighted for different reasons, like:

1. They are commissioned commercially

2. They are sold by the creator

3. They belong to a larger copyrighted work (i.e. a book)

While I respect copyrights (it comes with the age, it seems), I also think
society as a whole is being robbed via their unfair use by you-know-who these
days. I definitely encourage and try to contribute to open source communities.
Having said that, some of my models are in one or more of the above categories.
But I would never submit those models to the MOTM contest. Not only because it
kind of defeats the purpose in the first place, but also because questions could
arise around the use of the contest as a commercial tool.

I also think Orion's concerns with fairness are good in the sense that splitting
the Ldraw monthly contest into modeling and rendering is a great idea and
follows the bigger cad world. Ideally, the number of submissions will grow to
the point of asking for new categories (animation, anyone?)

As for how to best view the models, the ideal solution would be a real-time
rendering tool along the lines of what Antonio Cortés Carrillo proposed here.

http://news.lugnet.com/cad/?n=10840

Or, going back to the initial idea, simply release the Ldraw files and ask
voters to view them with any of the several tools available. I like the online
option better, as it makes it easier to participate in the voting part.
Specially for beginners.