Re: Proposed changes to MOTM Submission guidelines
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Mon, 5 Jan 2004 01:41:46 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Orion Pobursky wrote:
After formal running the MOTM contest for a month, I've becomed concerned with
the fairness of the contest.  In response to my concerns, I'd like to make the
following changes to the rules for MOTM in order to level the playing field.

If you disagree with anything written here, do not just post saying you
disagree. Please suggest a viable alternative with your post.

-Orion

I agree with this in spirit. Yes, bring the attention back to the models.
However I do have some alternative ideas, or at least variations on the ideas
presented.

Initially I thought the best way would be to make the dat files available so one
could pick through the model in detail, or at least to view it in ldview or
something, but then I thought again. What voter really wants to take the time to
view every model entered each month in that much detail? Rendered view/s are
adequate.

Rather than rendering at the ldraw.org end though, I would still prefer to
submit my own renders. The standard settings required to make it fair could
simply be included in the submissions guidelines. Any submissions that don't
comply to be resubmitted or rejected.

If you're going to allow multiple views, then require at least two to show
overviews of the model from the front and rear at a higher resolution (say
640x480), and allow the entrant to choose up to a maximum of four (or more?)
additional views showing off certain features at a lower resolution, all using
the standard lighting settings of course - the default l3pao ones should suffice
I would think. This would probably require a separate page for each entry with
the voting page containing linked thumbnails of the main overview.

This has certain advantages a)It doesn't require the dat file to be submitted,
although this could be optional with an 'available on request' link on the
entry, b)it allows the entrant to show off the best features of their model,
c)it removes some of the burden from the ldraw staff and d)it still keeps it
fair and focused on the model.

It would be nice for there to be some sort of prize in each competition too.
It's probably not practicable to do it monthly, but once or twice a year it'd be
cool to take each model of the month and allow voting on the model of the year
with some small prize on offer - you might be able to approach a store or even
TLC to sponsor it.

Just my 2c

Allister