Re: Proposed changes to MOTM Submission guidelines
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Mon, 5 Jan 2004 23:13:00 GMT

--snip--
   I think it is an issue, and worse, I think it highlights an underlying issue of larger import.

In an ideal world the Steering Committee would either have given Orion authority to organize the contest as he sees fit, or would have passed this rule change through their process, and once the decision was taken that would be it (with the recourse of discussion and even of turfing the committee out if everyone voting in the next election felt strongly enough about it)

But instead we have this open ended consensus process that has no apparent way of resolution unless consensus is unanimous, which might be very very draining, especially to the people actually getting things done. Orion worked hard to get these contests restarted. I’m concerned that this sort of thing can sap enthusiasm.

That doesn’t mean that whoever volunteers just gets their way about everything, mind you. But it is something to think about.

Not completely true. Orion’s original post was to get ideas/feedback on his proposed changes.

In the end it will be up to him to decide how he sets up the MOTM rules.

Why? Simple, this decision is not up to a committee!

Case in point when Tim C. changed the .dat to .ldr extension it was just done. Had he posted it here (lugnet), we would still be debating about the a) change, b) new 3 character extension, etc.. When Tim C. stepped down and gave Orion the helm of the website, I at least felt that Orion would have final say on what occures on www.ldraw.org. This won’t change until we get a formal committee in place. Since that has not happened yet, final word goes to Orion.

ps for Orion.

Orion I warned you that this was going to open a huge can of worms. lol!

ps for everyone else.

Don’t get me wrong everyone else, I love all the ideas that we got from everyone who has posted. Many more than what we got in the internal discussion but at the same time we have gotten a bit off course of the topic in terms of what Orion initally request (AKA: Ideas...).

-AHui

LDraw Help Desk