Re: Proposed changes to MOTM Submission guidelines
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Tue, 6 Jan 2004 17:27:26 GMT

With 64 messages in 4 days, the discussion regarding by proposed changes is
good.  I'm posting this message to refocus the discussion and tie all the
fragments together.

Here's a point by point breakdown of my proposal and some thoughts about the
current issues.

- All submissions will be in LDraw DAT or MPD format.

First the issue of public source code.  I do not want to limit participation in
this contest simply because someone doesn't want to publicly release the source.
I never intended to have the source available during the voting process, only
for the winning entry after the contest had concluded and then only with the
permission of the author.  The only technical requriment should be that you are,
at the very least, the co-copywrite owner of the source.

Second the question of whether or not the presentation is just as significant a
part of the model as the model itself.  In a perfect world, the contest voter
would look past the presentation to the model itself but I realize this isn't
the case hence why I want the presentaion to be uniform.  Remember, the best
looking product isn't always the best product.

- All submission will be rendered by the contest coordinator using a rendering
program of the coordinators choice

I would prefer this to be human powered and not automated (at least while I'm
running the contest).  I don't really have a good rational for this except for
it allows me to change the rendering program with reconfiguring the server.

- The voting page will present specified number of renders for each submission

I'm flexible on the number and location of the camera position.  I'm also
leaning towards the author specifing 1-3 camera views that would highlight what
thay feel to be nifty aspects of the model.

Again, if you disagree with anything written here, do not just post saying you
disagree.  Please suggest a viable alternative with your post.

-Orion