Re: Proposed changes to MOTM Submission guidelines
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Sun, 4 Jan 2004 14:03:12 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Jan Folkersma wrote:
hello all,

My compliments to Orion and his efforts to make the MOTM contest more fair.
But I do wonder why there is a need for this. Have there been doubtful
submissions in the past?
My biggest puzzle however is the copyight issue. Steve, in reply to Orion:

- The raw DAT code will be kept completely confidential and will NOT be posted
on the LDraw.org website or anywhere else unless permission from the current
owner is obtained.

I'm not keen on this, but I understand reasons for it.  I'd say (generally) the
submitter should be the owner of copyright, or at least co-owner.

Anyway, it'd very keen to allow viewers (voters) to get the LDR code, so they could
evaluate the model in as much detail as they want.

Why would someone not be willing to share his modelling efforts? Why is he/she
modelling in the first place? I do know that endless time and energy go into
most models and it might be atleast a bit annoying to see somebody else getting
credit for showing your model. But I think this comes with the territory. (in
this case, the Internet) I for one don't believe in the 'copyright' concept.
Nobody I know respects copyrights, including myself. (ok, hit me)
I'd say that one of the conditions for submitting should be that the model
becomes public. This might result in less models being submitted, so be it.
I think this would be a minor effect as I can't think of any reason for not
sharing our models.

best regards.

While I understand the desire to have all models publicly available, I respect
the authors desire to keep his/her efforts out of the public domain.  A great
analogy of this is that you can go a museum and look at an exhibit, you can even
take pictures to remember your visit, but you can't take the display pieces home
with you when you leave.

-Orion