Re: Proposed changes to MOTM Submission guidelines
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Sun, 4 Jan 2004 21:14:45 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Tim Courtney wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Orion Pobursky wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Jan Folkersma wrote:
A great analogy of this is that you can go a
museum and look at an exhibit, you can even
take pictures to remember your visit, but you
can't take the display pieces home with you
when you leave.

I think this analogy is not so great. The reason why
we can't take things home from a museum is that things
there are unique and in a museum more people can come
see it.
In the virtual world it's rather the other way around:
things are not unique, copies are indentical to the
original, and if more people 'take them with them',
the more it will be seen.
Please understand, I don't want this discussion to
be focussed on this copyright vs. public issue. I do
respect all efforts to make any contest fair.

I still would like to respect the author's choice not to have the raw DAT code
posted, it is after all his/her property.

-Orion

I agree (strongly) with Orion here. While I'd love to have copies of other
people's LDraw files when voting for the contest, ultimately the decision to
make the source of a model public should remain up to the author.

-Tim

All I have to add is a 'me too' to Tim's thought.
I'll never pay for a copyrighted .dat file but that doesn't mean that people
don't have the right to keep the files they make private. Not to sidetrack
further, but the matter becomes nastily complex if someone writes their own .dat
file that happens to be fundamentally similar to someone else's earlier,
unpublished efforts. It's interesting in the pale way that IP arguments are able
to be interesting but not at all fun. The interesting IP aspect (and the nasty
complexity aspect) vanish if the earliest author publishes their .dat openly.
The arguments that take the form of "I modeled 'XYZ' using parts 'ABC' before
you did" are infinitely depressing and not in the spirit of LEGO.