Re: Proposed changes to MOTM Submission guidelines
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Mon, 5 Jan 2004 17:36:18 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Gregory J. Overkamp wrote:
It seems as though my first point was missed entirely.  The
presentation is as crucial to the model as the model itself.

The first example I would like to use comes from my profession-
design competitions.  Rules for submissions in almost all design
competitions ask for a certain size presentation board, and the
number of boards.  They may ask for some details or a specific
drawing such as a plan, but this is as far as the rules go.

You're talking about a different medium.  Not everyone has the
21 inch, high resolution monitor required to make complex or
intricate models look good when rendered.  The use of pictures
meant to be displayed on a typical computor monitor tends to
favor smaller simpler designs.  Is that what we want for the model
competition?  I don't think so.  The picture should be secondary.
The DAT file is the model.

Don