Re: Proposed changes to MOTM Submission guidelines
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Tue, 6 Jan 2004 12:52:40 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Miguel Agullo wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Larry Pieniazek wrote:

I am not so keen on it, it sort of smacks of potential discrimination against
entries that choose not to do so. If we are going for a level playing field
let's get completely level.

It would seem like you are defending here your right to sell your models *over*
the rights of others to share theirs.

I hope not. It's certainly not my overt intent! I think sharing's great, if you
want to share.

I just don't want to see authors put in a position where they are forced to
share either to participate at all, or in order to be on an equal footing
because of how the contest is structured. I think that will tend to diminish
entries.

In the general case there are lots of venues for sharing available, such as BIP
and so forth. Heck, I have a model on BIP myself (1). And I have no problem
whatever with someone saying "here's how to get a copy of the DAT" in their
writeup or whatever. I just have a concern that by building it into the contest,
if structured incorrectly, it has the potential to be discriminatory.

Granted, this only applies to a very
specific instance (MOTM contest), not the community as a whole. But I still
can't agree with that on general principles.

OK. I guess.  I guess I'm not sure exactly what you are or aren't agreeing with
here, though.

But, more importantly, I'm relieved to be reminded that Orion's going to be
making the final decision here, I was concerned that the LUGNET process would
not have an end and this idea wouldn't get implemented at all.

1 - Why does that sound like "some of my best friends are (blank)" ?? :-)