Re: Proposed changes to MOTM Submission guidelines
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Tue, 6 Jan 2004 23:46:05 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Orion Pobursky wrote:

- All submissions will be in LDraw DAT or MPD format.

I never intended to have the source available during the voting process, only
for the winning entry after the contest had concluded and then only with the
permission of the author.

Sounds fair enough. I for one would be unlikely to pick through the .ldr file
for every entrant anyway, but it would be cool to get a closer look at the
winning entry.

Second the question of whether or not the presentation is just as significant a
part of the model as the model itself.  In a perfect world, the contest voter
would look past the presentation to the model itself but I realize this isn't
the case hence why I want the presentaion to be uniform.  Remember, the best
looking product isn't always the best product.

This is true enough, although I still can't see why a rendering standard can't
simply be part of the submission guidelines. I think you'll find entrants would
be happy to comply. It's only the lack of such guidelines that allows such
variety of render quality now. You could even place a section of code with the
relevant lighting and global settings in the guidelines that could be pasted
into the pov file.

- All submission will be rendered by the contest coordinator using a rendering
program of the coordinators choice

- The voting page will present specified number of renders for each submission

I'm flexible on the number and location of the camera position.  I'm also
leaning towards the author specifing 1-3 camera views that would highlight what
thay feel to be nifty aspects of the model.

This would be good, but what if the entrant wanted to highlight something with a
cutaway view, or a view of a sub-model? This would be entirely possible with
more complex models, and if the .ldr file is unavailable would be the only way
to show anything other than surface features. How would this be automated?

Either way, I suppose the best thing is to run it for a month or two with the
new rules and see how it goes.

Also, since no-one responded before , what do people think of offering some sort
of prize for the Model/Scene of the Year? It doesn't have to be much, but I
think that more than anything would encourage greater participation, would it
not?

Cheers,

Allister