Re: Proposed changes to MOTM Submission guidelines
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Tue, 6 Jan 2004 18:40:53 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Don Heyse wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Dan Boger wrote:
I guess I just disagree with you there :)  I think it's better to have a
better contest, and perhaps lose a few entries of those who want to sell
their models.  The increased quality of the interface is worth it, imo.

How about three contests: SotM, MotM and LDR file of the Month?

Don,

  I thought about this for a while and have decided to retract my positive swing
on this.  The whole, dat required or not discussion is somewhat moot IMHO.

  For a given complete physical model there are only so many reasonable ways the
model can be represented in the DAT file.  How much style is there really when
all you are talking about is the complete model.  There are a few, issues like
groups, and sub-model files, but it is a pretty thin set of criteria to judge
over.

  A much more interesting contest might be - building instruction of the month.
There are a broad set of techniques that can be applied when it comes to
creating building instructions.  It would be a much richer set of things to
consider, and a much richer set of things to be taught and learned.  Style
matters much more there.

Kevin