Re: Proposed changes to MOTM Submission guidelines
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Mon, 5 Jan 2004 16:29:54 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Tim Courtney wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Larry Pieniazek wrote:

If you want to focus on presentation, then Scene is the contest for you, that's
the idea behind this idea. Leveling the playing field via automation encourages
everyone to focus on the model.

We DON'T want someone to win because they had better radiosity settings...
that's counter to the spirit of focusing on the model.

Agreed.

-Tim

It seems as though my first point was missed entirely.  The presentation is as
crucial to the model as the model itself.

The first example I would like to use comes from my profession- design
competitions.  Rules for submissions in almost all design competitions ask for a
certain size presentation board, and the number of boards.  They may ask for
some details or a specific drawing such as a plan, but this is as far as the
rules go.

Translate this to ldraw applications, and the rules look similar to those
already in place for the contest.  A certain image size, the number of images,
and in the future if there is more than one image allowed, an overall view would
probably be recommended.

Next look at other Lego contests, such as the one held by the official magazine
for younger Lego users.  You never see a poor photograph in those pages.

Finally you can even look at various models on MOCpages.  How often have you
seen a three smile rating with a review that reads: "good model, but you need
better pictures"  or even "good models but the rendering is lacking."

What I am basically saying is that a good model will win regardless of the
presentation but a good presentation sets the good models apart from the great
ones.

Now I do have a suggestion which may help make the contest more fair- ask prior
winners to retire and make them ineligble for future contests.  This gives more
of a chance to any new-comers.

Perhaps my biggest problem with eliminating the rendering process and leaving it
to admins is the possibility that models will be presented in a light that the
submitter is unhappy with.  If you spend hours working on a model, you want to
see it presented in the best possible way.  If you need help doing so, just ask.
There are more than enough of us here willing to help.  A link leading you to
lugnet.cad on the contest submission page would probably be a nice addition.

To spell it out one last time- presentation is part of the model making process.
Adding the dat files is something I can agree with and I like the idea of
multiple views.  BUT leave the rendering process to the submitters!