Re: Proposed changes to MOTM Submission guidelines
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Mon, 5 Jan 2004 15:45:27 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Miguel Agullo wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Tim Courtney wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Orion Pobursky wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Dan Boger wrote:
If someone chooses not to participate in the contest because they
can't/won't release the DAT, what's the loss for LDraw?

The loss is the chance for us to see the creative effort of another and possibly
be inspired by it.  The fact that this has become the central issue  of my
proposed changes flabbergasts me.  It takes absolutly no effort on our part to
honor an author's desire to keep the source private.

Agreed.

-Tim

Let's please make this explicitly clear: It is then all right to use the contest
as a means to advertise a commercial model or a commercial product based on the
model? This is a glaring pitfall if sources are not requested. I thought it
would be inelegant and immoral to submit the models I authored for, say, the
Dark Side Creatures book published by Syngress (which the contest audience would
have to buy if they wanted to get the step-by-step instructions). Please correct
me if that is not the case, because I still think it is.

Cheers

If the model has commercial ties before or during the contest then I might (note
the word might) have a problem with the submission.  In my opinion, the
reasoning behind an author's decision to keep the source private is irrelevent
and not the business of anyone but the author, but if the reason is to reserve
to the right to offer the model as part of some future commercial venture, then
I would have no problem.

-Orion