Re: Proposed changes to MOTM Submission guidelines
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Mon, 5 Jan 2004 16:47:26 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Don Heyse wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Orion Pobursky wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Dan Boger wrote:
If someone chooses not to participate in the contest because they
can't/won't release the DAT, what's the loss for LDraw?

I found this question somewhat surprising, frankly.

Why?  If they don't want to publish the DAT, they can still enter
the Scene categrory, because that's all you get without the DAT
file, one view of the model (AKA a scene).  My personal favorite
part of lugnet is clicking on the DAT links and spining the model
around in a viewer to examine it from all sides.  Maybe even step
through it, one part at a time.   That's what a model is to me.
Anything else is just a picture.

The loss is the chance for us to see the creative effort of another
and possibly be inspired by it.  The fact that this has become the
central issue of my proposed changes flabbergasts me.

I'm hoping that it only appears to be the central issue because the
rest of the proposal has met with general agreement and that if this
issue can be resolved, it will be speedily adopted. (but again, with
no formal organisation, who decides?)

Why can't we use copyright to handle any problems with publishing
DAT files?  If the author doesn't want it in the public domain, add
a "0 Copyright ..." line the model file before submitting it.

People that won't go this far probably won't submit any models
anyway.  Have we ever seen a model submitted by someone who makes
money off of them?  How many of Larry's models have been submitted?

Several, actually.

PS.  Don't get me wrong.  I like the idea that people can make money
off their models.  I personally bought a train car from Larry, and the
Brickmania CD.  I just wonder if it's really even an issue here.

I think it is an issue, and worse, I think it highlights an underlying issue of
larger import.

In an ideal world the Steering Committee would either have given Orion authority
to organize the contest as he sees fit, or would have passed this rule change
through their process, and once the decision was taken that would be it (with
the recourse of discussion and even of turfing the committee out if everyone
voting in the next election felt strongly enough about it)

But instead we have this open ended consensus process that has no apparent way
of resolution unless consensus is unanimous, which might be very very draining,
especially to the people actually getting things done. Orion worked hard to get
these contests restarted. I'm concerned that this sort of thing can sap
enthusiasm.

That doesn't mean that whoever volunteers just gets their way about everything,
mind you. But it is something to think about.