 Dear LEGO / 3599
Re: WHY SO LONG ON Light Gray?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Thu, 13 Dec 2001 04:20:15 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Mike Petrucelli writes:
In lugnet.lego.direct, Jack Gregory writes:
Mike Petrucelli <lordi@erols.com> wrote

Frankly I find it baffling that someone would not want
at least 1,000 of any given basic piece. (bricks, plates,
and slopes)  I will buy the argument that someone
making a forest would not want 1,000 trees.

Some quick math:  1,000 of any Lego piece (not mass marketed and priced
minimally like the 3033) would probably cost at least $0.05 per piece, yes?
That's $50 for 1,000 of the same piece.  I realize that there's been inflation,
etc., but that kind of money still says to me: birthday/Christmas present (in
the context of the Lego demographic).  Although I would be happy to pay $50 for
1,000 gray 2x4 slope 45s[1], for the average parent that is probably not the
paradigm of a high-end present for Junior.  For that matter, I probably
wouldn't have been interested myself, 10-15 years ago[2].

And I would much rather see more coverage than 10,000 cheap 2x4's.

I said I wanted 10,000 6x8 PLATES.  6x8 plates are a bit
than the 2x4 bricks two posts now have assumed I said.

Relax, there are a lot of postings.  I think someone did say 2x4's at some
point, and I wasn't directly addressing yours.  But I will now: "I would
rather see more coverage than 10,000 unit packs of 6x8 plates to make Mike
happy."  ;-)

The solution, as I believe others have pointed out in this forum before, is
relatively simple:  Every few months, S@H should announce its intention to take
preorders for large (say, 1,000 pieces) bulk offerings of a few elements.
There can be an announcement on shop.lego.com, a mention in one catalog, and a
posting say to .market.brickshops or .market.b-s-t.  Once preordering is done,
the bricks are made and shipped out. . .and the process begins again, with
different elements.  This offers none of the risk and hassle of the current
setup to S@H, since they don't have to worry about a large selection or keeping
an inventory of items in stock.  It also spurs increased sales by eliminating
buyer uncertainty about how long parts will remain in stock or whether prices
will drop.  And it means that S@H can offer a wide coverage of parts, over the
course of a year or so.  Of course, the most frequent buyers would be BrickBay
sellers who wanted to offer the parts to people who didn't want such large
quantities---meeting demand for smaller quantities at a higher price point.
The tricky part is that TLC probably couldn't *tell* John Q. Public "If you
want this part in smaller quantities, there's this place called BrickBay. . .",
but hopefully people would get in the know somehow.

TWS Garrison

[1] Provided, of course, that there were a gray eccentric slope pack to make
those 1,000 basic slopes useful.

[2] Of course, I don't remember *ever* ordering anything from S@H---even though
I had catalogs which is, as Mike has pointed out,
http://news.lugnet.com/lego/direct/?n=2661
a step up from many kids.

XFUT .dear-lego, where this conversation probably should have gone a while
back. . .